Belgium 1939 25 Centimes - Clashed Die?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by edduns, Mar 3, 2016.

1. edduns

edduns Senior Member

Obv.: Looks to me part of the engravers name is showing above the crown.
    Rev.: Looks to me part of the crown is showing below 25C
    Could it be a Clashed Die. Ed

IMG_8521.JPG IMG_8523.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks to me like a nice Die Clash ;)
    Thanks for sharing

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Plus Die cracks all over the place. A Philly mint quality coin. Nice find!

Stevearino likes this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Good eye!

Steve

6. Stevearino

My father could have handled that coin; spent quite a few months in Belgium, including the Battle of the Bulge. The unknown history of a coin, including the "what ifs" is part of my love of numismatics.

Steve

Markus1959 likes this.
  7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Your father fought in the Battle of the Bulge?

8. edduns

edduns Senior Member

Thanks all - I just was not sure - Die Clash are new to me, I was researching them and thought it might be - I will be checking my other coins now. THX Ed

9. Stevearino

TJ1952, yes. They had to abandon their position that morning of the Germans' breakthrough. My father's captain took a tommy gun, tossed it to my dad, saying, "Trandem, you take this." My father caught the gun, put the strap over his head, turned the gun and it went off, striking his beloved sergeant in the left arm. The captain hadn't checked to see if the safety was on. His sergeant didn't lose his arm, but my father felt guilty until the day he died at age 92, two years go.

For a period of two months Dad and a buddy were billeted with a private family in Liege, Belgium, in an upstairs bedroom with no heat. Believe it or not, they had not taken their boots off for two months. But he knew other units that had it worse, being in foxholes for over a month. Still, my hat is off to all those men and women who served, who serve today, and those who will fill the ranks of the military. I was 4F for Vietnam, but my son has served. My dad and three of his four brothers were all serving in WW II at the same time (the oldest had to farm), in Africa, Sicily, France, Belgium, Germany and the Pacific. I can only imagine the prayers my dear grandparents said nightly (at least) not knowing what was happening with their 4 boys.

Steve

10. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@Stevearino - That is a fantastic story!! Jeezzzz, four sons!?!?! Sounds like the Sullivan Brothers story! My Dad flew bombing runs out of England during the war. From a place called Bassingbourn. I recently pulled out his DD214. I never noticed it before, but his enlistment date was 13 Dec 41. Make no mistake about it, our Dad's were the greatest generation!!

Stevearino likes this.
  11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@edduns - Sorry to hijack your thread! You can have it back now.

12. Stevearino

Sorry here, too. Just so dang proud of Dad I couldn't help myself.

Steve

TJ1952 likes this.
  13. edduns

edduns Senior Member

No problem - sounds like some great men - I salute them all. Ed

TJ1952 likes this.
  14. Stevearino

Thanks, Ed!

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted