Before they were destroyed..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Jul 25, 2016.

1. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

2 new coins from the Khwarazmian Empire

In 1218 after the conquest of the Kara Khitan, The Mongols gained a border with the Khwarazmian Empire...

Genghis Khan sent a letter to the Shah, Ala ad-Din Muhammad offering a alliance or trade agreement..
    "I am master of the lands of the rising sun while you rule those of the setting sun. Let us conclude a firm treaty of friendship and peace."

So shortly afterwards a Mongol caravan was sent to Khwarezmia.. Unfortunatly a local governor had them arrested on suspicion they were spies (which was unlikely).. Genghis sent 3 ambassadors to meet with the Shah to arrange for their release, however he had the 2 Mongol ambassadors shaved and the Muslim killed

Genghis was... unhappy with this result... So he had the Khwarazmian Empire destroyed..

Muhammad II of Khwarezm 1200 - 1220 AD
    kwarz.jpg
    AE Jital
    Dated: Rabbi II AH 618 = June/July 1221 AD
    Album 1971
    Struck by the local ruler Malik of Kurzuwan

3.4g, 20 MM

This Coin was supposedly struck while the city was under siege by the Mongols... After about 2 months the city fell and all were killed..

and another

Muhammad II of Khwarezm

kwarz2.jpg

AR Dirham
    Ghazna Mint
    Album 1714?
    4.6g 29 mm

Ghazna appears to have fared slightly better than Kurzuwan, as the City was abandoned ahead of the Mongol arrival..

In the end it is estimated that 1.25 million people were killed which was 25% of the population of Khwarazmia(A Percentage higher than that suffered by any country in World War 2 and it happened in just 2 years without modern technology..)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

This part of the world had at least as many dramatic historical events as the Roman Empire did. And that's also reflected in it's coinage. Thanks for drawing some attention to this again !
    As addition here another copper issued under the authority of Ala al-din Muhammad KwarezmShah (text in Arab reads his name and title):
    T303Spec2Web.jpg

ps. Your Dirham is Album-1715 (because of weight and double circular edge lines with text in between)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

And here I thought I was the only guy to collect this rulers coins.

KhwarezmCoins.jpg

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This is the guy that was ticked-off, and busted them:

Mongols-Ghazna Genghis Khan 1206-1227 CE AE Jital Islamic O-R.JPG
    Great Mongols, Genghis (Chingiz) Khan,
    AH 603-624/ AD 1206-1227,
    AE Jital (4.12gm, 2h),
    Ghazna type, undated, citing Genghis as Khaqan and
    citing on the reverse, the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir. O: 'adl / khaqan / al-a'zam("the Just and Supreme Khaqan" or "Just [coin] of the Supreme Khaqan"). R: al-Nasir / li-Din Allah / amir al-mu- / -minin ("al-Nasir li-Din Allah, commander of the faithful").
    SICA-9, 1008; Tye 329; Album 1969

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That first jital posted is very special. If I recall correctly, its the only true siege coin of the Islamic world.

Has anyone found anything else of Malik of Kurzuwan?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. THCoins

Some experts suggest that the "Malik of Kurzuwan" may not be a reference to any city ruler at all, but to the "supreme King", Allah.

What i found more special is the two Genghis coins. At least one side is die identical.
    (Most clearly visible in deformation of middle character in upper line in left picture) Co-incidence, or reason for concern ?

panzerman and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet OP-score, arnoldoe ... congrats

Ummm, do these coins of mine fit in this thread?

Islamic Mongols Hawk.jpg

Islamic Anatolia & al-Jazira.jpg seljuqsax.jpg seljuqsbx.jpg

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks Muzyck ... ummm, so it doesn't belong with the rest? (or were you merely helping me out with a coin ID?) ... thanks, either way

Ummm, here is the info for my other two examples (in case you were trying to track-down the info ... sorry, I should have included the info when I did my initial post back in summer ... ahhhh, summer ... do you remember those good ol' days?)

ISLAMIC, Mongols. Ilkhanids. Arghun.
    AR Dirham

AH 683-690 / AD 1284-1291
    Astarabad mint
    Diameter: 17 mm
    Weight: 2.75 grams
    Obverse:
    Reverse: Hawk type
    Reference: Diler Ar-173; cf. Album 2149.2; ICV

[​IMG]

ISLAMIC, Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk), Zangids (al-Mawsil), Saif al-Din Ghazi II, Æ Dirhem
    AH 565-576 / AD 1170-1180
    Dated AH 567 (AD 1171/2)
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 13.21 grams
    Obverse: Draped young male bust facing slightly left, wearing hair in foreknot; above, winged figures flanking; AH date to right and left
    Reverse: Name and titles of Saif al-Din Ghazi II in five lines and in outer margins
    Reference: Whelan Type I, 174-5; S&S Type 60.3; Album 1861.1

[​IMG]

Oh, and I recently added another Seljuqs of Rum ... does this mean that this new addition also doesn't belong in this thread, or do the Seljuqs of Rum coins belong with the rest of the cool coins on this thread?

=> either way, here is my new Seljuqs addition ...

SELJUQS OF RUM:
    GHIYATH AL-DIN KAI KHUSRU, AE-Fals

First Reign: AH 588-597 (1191-1200 AD)
    Second Reign: AH 601-607 (1204-1210 AD)
    Diameter: 25 mm
    Weight: 2.40 grams
    Obverse: Horseman right carrying spear, two stars in field, dragon? below
    Reverse: Five line legend
    Reference: Kufic inscription, Fine, Paris 1647v

Seljuqs of Rum Replacement Horse and Rider.jpg

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

No offense intended. It was just a comment.I'll avoid doing that in the future. Thanks.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahaha, Muzyck => are you talking to me? .....

I liked your comment ... sadly, I don't know enough about some of the coin-history (I wasn't sure if you were telling me that the Seljuqs coins didn't belong in this thread?)

I always like coin comments => especially if they're teaching me more about my cool coins.

Thanks again for your comments

cheers

emoticon cheers too.gif

13. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

I don't know much about ancient coins but I recently picked up this coin because the history is so interesting. I was told it is from Khwarezm Shahs, "Malik of Kurzuwan", the Kurzuwan mint dated AH 618, month Rabi II, roughly the equivalent of June of 1221AD. Does that sound right from the looks of it? Also it is clearly oxidizing. Is there anything I should do about that? My gut tells me to leave it alone. IS34-15-Struck-by-city-while-under-siege-by.jpg IS34-15-Struck-by-city-while-under-siege-by-_57.jpg

stevex6 and panzerman like this.
  14. THCoins

Yes,"Kurzuwan" partly visible in the top line of your second picture. From what is visible of the edge text in your upper picture this is the Rabi II issue of this coin.
    For comparison, this is the later version issued during Jumada I.
    Tye324_2Web.jpg

If the green corrosion is dry and powdery you should treat it as it will eat away your coin. If it is rock hard then better leave it alone and just keep an eye on it.

15. Electron John

By treat it do you mean wash with soapy water with toothbrush, soak in olive oil and then run in an ultrasonic bath in soapy water and then rinse with IPA?

16. Electron John

That is NOT green corrosion! It is jade toning! :)

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted