Before I submit to PCGS, thoughts and opinions.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Coinguy123456789, Feb 11, 2016.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm talking certified coins.
    That coin is $12,500 not $15k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Proof-...963662?hash=item35f55fcf8e:g:MNwAAOSwIwhWQ~vs

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow. The coin you posted is so different from the OP's coin that a meaningful comparison really can't be made.

The coin you linked has beautiful, natural surfaces. It is a proof, and thus is expected to have reflective surfaces (the polished business strike in the OP has mirrored surfaces because it has been cleaned). It is also somewhat unreasonable to compare a circulated business strike to a very high grade proof.

As for the toning - on the OP's coin, the color appears to be a film that rests on the surface (because it is). On the proof you link, the toning is fully integrated into the coin (because it is a reaction of the metal in the coin with the environment - the toning is a part of the coin).

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

If you say so. I actually like the op coin more than the proof, the proof has blotchy/pitted toning on Liberty and the fields. I don't think you can say the blue toning is different from the pics.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well, then you have fun bro. Knock yourself out.

6. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Wow.. Very nice coin.. I am not sure about the "glare" or "why didn't you" comments about the pic's because they look great to me and show the details of the coin nicely. I agree with all of statequarterguy's comments. Of course monetary value is important but for me a coins eye appeal is what matters most and this Barber certainly has that. Maybe I'll become jaded as I continue on and focus on monetary value but I hope that does not happen. That would take the fun out of it.. Anyways, taking info and comparing pic's from the pcgs grading book that I have it looks AU to me. But, it's all subjective anyways. Nice coin.... Good Luck and Happy Hunting...

7. coins776

coins776 no title

Draft saved Draft deleted