Before I submit to PCGS, thoughts and opinions.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Coinguy123456789, Feb 11, 2016.

1. This is a raw Barber half purchased from local dealer. The tiny line on the neck is glare from the plastic, not the coin. Thanks!!! Screenshot_2016-02-11-00-56-54-1.png Screenshot_2016-02-10-23-29-19-1.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The reverse was taken under different lighting.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you're going to submit it, why don't you remove it from the 2x2 before taking the photos. You'll have to put it in a Saflip anyway.

Chris

eric6794 likes this.
  5. I just bought it today. And I don't have any mylar flips on hand. I wish I did.

6. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

im sure the person you bought it from has some flips, why didnt you get a couple? It is a pain in the butt to look at a coin with glare from a 2x2. Nice coin any way it goes.

7. I just plain ole forgot. Thank you for the tip

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

9. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

If you're submitting to PCGS, you'll need to put it in a flip. That one will come back Cleaned, IMO.

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll bet considered PGCS AT.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is tricky to tell AU vs. Unc from your pictures, but I'm going to lean towards AU details.

Unfortunately, it has also been cleaned and AT'd. That coin will not get a straight grade from PCGS or NGC, based on what I am seeing in your pictures.

In the AU-details grade, the coin is probably worth about $250. Only you can decide if it is worth it to submit, but I would probably return the coin if I could.

Insider likes this.
  12. Insider

AMEN! Except, it has a chance of being upgraded to UNC since it will be in a details slab.

13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Crazy isn't it? I'd take that beauty over many certified pitted garbage MS coins I see daily. Whatever happened to EYE APPEAL? literally today, many can't see the forest for the trees.

14. Insider

Good for you :joyful: as beauty is in the eye of the beholder :clown:...And that folks is what makes the world go around :smuggrin: the coin doctors rich :greedy: and the ignorant broke and unhappy with collecting.

I personally don't buy ALTERED COINS with no original color or surface.:vomit:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. statequarterguy

What proof do you have that coin was altered? I've seen plenty in slabs just like it.

16. physics-fan3.14

Show me one. I don't believe it.

The hazy blue color is an immediate red flag.
    The shiny/dark area in the obverse field is characteristic of a polished coin.
    The halo around the devices is characteristic of a cleaned coin.
    The splotchiness on the reverse and areas of the obverse is characteristic of an improperly rinsed/dipped coin.

This coin has problems.

coppell_collect and Insider like this.
  17. Insider

:rolleyes: :facepalm: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I'm clairvoyant! Perhaps you should stick to collecting state quarters! Dah, you think?:smuggrin:

Now, after having some fun at your expense as I can be an :angelic::kiss: or a really nasty :troll: I (and hopefully others) will give you some things to look for on that particular coin. So until I finish my late lunch....;)

18. Insider

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

19. statequarterguy

Search toned barber ngc or pcgs on eBay. Most fall into the pitted garbage with zero eye appeal category. There are also a few that look like the op coin. There's a beautiful hazy blue proof for around $15,000. If certified means zero eye appeal and the op coin sells at a discount because someone believes it's altered, again, I'll take the op coin with eye appeal. Since I only buy raw, I'm sure I've bought some the tpg'ers would say are AT'ed or cleaned, but, I buy eye appeal. Coins like the op's have no problem selling.

20. Insider

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I was going to PM you after lunch but you've just change my mind :cool:

21. physics-fan3.14

Just because some shuckster on Ebay calls it a toned coin, doesn't mean that it *is* a toned coin.

Post a link to the coin you mentioned, and I'll describe all of the ways that this coin is different. You are comparing apples and camaros.

Hey, if you like buying cleaned and AT'd coins, then that is your choice. Buy whatever makes you happy. Just be honest with us and yourself about what you are buying. My goal on these forums is to make sure that the readers are educated about what they buy (not to impose my taste/opinions on others, despite what it may sound like) - whether they buy it or not is their choice. The majority of us will not buy coins like this (most importantly to me, I will not buy coins with these problems).

Draft saved Draft deleted