Before i pull the trigger #2 ... Basiliscus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, May 27, 2017.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I also need a Basiliscus - so realistically it's either a tremissis or a solidus.

This one is on the market at the moment. It is not disclosed as ex-jewellery, although it clearly is ex-jewellery, and therefore i will negotiate on price. I need a Basiliscus, and he is quite rare, so I could settle for this:
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts?

dlhill132, TJC, Ajax and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Between about 10:00 and 11:00 on the obverse near the rim, there... do I see a plugged hole? Or is it just a die-cracky anomaly? I see a circle there. It touches the top of the first "I" in his name. See what I'm talkin' about?

Interesting clashmarks at the top of the reverse.

The ex-jewelry attribute doesn't bother me, really (and even an expertly plugged hole wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker)... IF the price was right.

GregH likes this.
  4. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly. I don't mind "rough-around-the-edges" as long as it's attributable and the price is right.

So a pristine Basilicus solidus sold for $2,200 at last CNG. For an ex-jewellery piece i'd expect to pay half that. I'm negotiating with the seller. He didn't like my first offer, but I'm not going to go much higher. The coin does appeal to me. It's not like it's been tooled or anything. Ex-jewellery is fine - part of the coin's story, really - as long as the price is right, like you say!

dlhill132 likes this.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It is an attractive coin.

I like the portrait and the reverse.

If this is not a ruler who is a special interest of yours then I would say its a good fit.

If this is one of your favorite emperors then maybe see if there is something with a clearer portrait.

6. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I'm glad I have CT to make sure my opinions aren't crazy.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Second "I", I meant.

8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

smells like a good solidus!

Jwt708 and GregH like this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice one. Whether or not it was jewelry is probably a nit, but not a deal breaker. Hope you can agree on a reasonable price.

10. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

11. Voulgaroktonou

Although a soft face on the portrait, it has a fine inscription. I hope you can get it at a price that makes you happy. I do not have him in a solidus, but I do have a semissis of the joint reign of Basiliscus and Marcus and a tremissis of Basiliscus alone. I've attached their photos. au16b.jpg 56001.jpg 56001.jpg 56001.jpg

dlhill132, Ajax, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  12. Voulgaroktonou

...and I have no idea why the tremissis photo tripled itself!

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Because it's a 3x beauty

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. Voulgaroktonou

You are most kind!

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those are excellent gold images. They show a good balance of both the beauty and the character marks most coins will have.

GregH and Ancientnoob like this.
  16. Voulgaroktonou

Thank you, Doug. I'm not much of a photographer, but I do my own pictures. Mike

17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Very cool coins and pics!

18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

And trigger pushed at a negotiated price. Thank you all!

Ajax and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted