Before and After

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thomas mozzillo, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The TPG's are not perfect or omnipotent they make mistakes sometimes. If they always got it right and never made a mistake there would be no such thing as upgrades or the "crackout game", and AT coins would never get into slabs. But it happens.

Magnus87 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Are there usually 2 experts grading each coin? That's a question that I've always wanted to ask. This way, there'd be some checks and balances, with disparities in opinions going to a third binding moderator. Or are submissions graded by one expert only?

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

From what I have read it's 2-4 for the top two.

PCGS says 3-4:

"In all cases, at minimum, 3-4 graders are assigned to every coin for grading and verification."

https://www.pcgs.com/pcgs-grading-process-videohttps://www.pcgs.com/pcgs-grading-process-video

NGC says at least 2:
    "Grading is a team effort, with at least two professional numismatists examining every coin."
    https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-process/ngc-grading-process.aspx

5. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Thanks very much for the info and links! I'm gonna read through them. Appreciate it.

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  6. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Very true!
    Its one reason I dont like toning.
    Never did.
    I like my silver coins silver. Copper is acceptable in red, brown chocolate or steel. But coins are metal and should look like ir.
    As for TPG's. If there is no way to be sure, why dont they just ignore toning and grade on the coin?
    How does toning hide cleaning?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's a chocolate and vanilla thing.

Simple answer, because eye appeal is a large part of the grade, one of the larger parts in fact. Eye appeal and quality of luster are the two most important parts of grading there are.

The same way paint hides defects in things. If defects are covered up with toning then those defects become much more difficult if not impossible to see.

8. littlehugger

Yes, true, but paint actually adds a layer of something foreign to the object painted. An airplane or ship gains a lot of weight when painted.
    But toning is not an added substance.
    Theoretically at least, whatever signs of cleaning are visible, should still be visible with toning.
    Personally, I dont really know what the signs are of cleaning, other than the obvious. I once saw a Morgan on Ebay that looked fantastic initially, but when you magnified it, it had clear and obvious signs of whizzing. You could see the circular scratches. But people were bidding like crazy.
    I have seen large cents that had toning you would expect of old copper, with a details grade and "old cleaning", so how come they can detect that?
    Anyway, I am just curious about this.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually it is, or at least the result of the diffraction of light through a layer of material deposited on the coin through a reaction of the metal with other elements/compounds.

Heavymetal likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

Sometimes you can see it and sometimes ya can't - it all depends on the signs and the toning. Same thing I said above -

As Conder said above, yes it is. Toning is the result of corrosion, the metal itself being changed into an entirely different substance. It is that different substance that is added. And that substance has a great many different degrees of thickness, and colors. And it's a whole lot like paint, in one regard anyway. The thicker it gets the more it hides. Put a thin, single coat of paint on something - you'll still be able to see what's underneath it. Put a nice thick 2 coats on - everything underneath is hidden.

Toning works the same way. Whatever there was underneath is still there, you just can't see it as easily, if at all. Just that simple. That's why intentional toning is the oldest trick in the book, it's pretty easy to do and it works, always has. And as you can see with the coin in this thread - it still works !

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

How embarrassing. Somerimes i think some people get special treatment. Hadta. Lots of proof blue raw coins out there. Shame shame

12. Cheech9712

I hear ya. Like was said. 5 known proofs. Duh

13. Cheech9712

God i hate when you make me change my mind. Sometimes i just want to scream when this happens

14. Cheech9712

Doug just talked me down. Don't get me started. BUT. Great minds think alike

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. Cheech9712

U got my best answer

16. GDJMSP

LOL !

Lemme clarify a bit for ya Cheech. I'm not laughing at you, not at all. Point of fact I take what you said as a compliment, and I thank you for it - truly.

What I'm laughing at is what happened. Ya see, pretty much every member of my family that there is, including extended family, and more than few others who know me, have known me for a long time, have said things similar to that my entire life. The usual phrase is - God I hate it when he's right ! And they usually try to be very careful to NOT let me hear them say it.

So, rest assured you're not the only one who feels that way :)

17. littlehugger

Being always right is something we share.
    It infuriates people.
    I tell them its a genetic defect.

John Skelton likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

Oh I'm not always right, I make my share of mistakes and then some. Usually due to the normal things - memory lapses, brain cramps, not enough coffee yet - those kind of things. :D But I do make an effort to be correct in what I say.

19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

You didn't have to go and say that, Doug.

Great. Yet something else in coins for which I cannot get a third-party, definitive answer, but will have to rely on my own wits and my own choices!

Sounds too much like life...

20. GDJMSP

Well, lemme ask ya then. Would ya prefer I just keep quiet and leave you (and others) in blissful ignorance ? :D

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Natural toning, as explained above, is a surface reaction between the metal and foreign contaminants. However, artificial toning such as the example shown in this thread really is adding a layer of something on the surface. Artificial toning usually isn't undergoing a reaction - it's often just adding some film on the surface exactly like paint.

The cleaning is almost impossible to see in the pictures that ddddd posted. However, click the link to the Heritage auction and look at the full slab pictures. The obverse of the coin is *covered* in fine, parallel scratches across her face and into the left field. That is due to the cleaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted