becoming a fan of toned coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Exskywarrior, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Too dirty or corroded so can't be sure. In any case, IMO, you are not buying nice - problem free coins. They go up in value over time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

I certainly appreciate all of your help and guidance. I am disappointed for sure, but I'll gitter straightened out tomorrow. Thank you kind sir......

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but every single one of those raw coins has problems. I don't know who you are buying from, but you should immediately return them all, and don't buy from him again.

The first 2 Morgans are harshly polished and AT.

The slabbed Morgan appears attractive.

The third raw morgan is chinese, as insider mentioned.

The Barber has also been harshly polished, cleaned, and retoned.

I really hope that you can return these pieces, and/or you didn't spend much money on them. Chalk this up as a lesson learned.

Until you can discern these sorts of problems, it may be better to stick to coins graded by PCGS or NGC.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't buy a car/house/boat/fishing pole/whatever without doing research - the same thing applies to coins. What is considered valuable has everything to do with condition and understanding how the hobby values condition will put you in a better position when considering a coin to buy. Whoever you friend is...either they're not your friend or they're clueless about coins. Good luck. I hope you don't let this discourage you from the hobby.

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

and ANACS or ICG.:happy:

7. physics-fan3.14

They are better than raw, true.

But the number of problem and misgraded coins is much higher in ANACS and ICG. I would not recommend a beginner buy these coins, until they can discern problems and grade for themselves. I would not recommend buying coins in these holders for most other people because they don't hold their value, and will be harder to resell.

8. Insider

I'll see you and bet again...

They are better than raw, true. Absolutely!
    But the number of problem (?) IMO, ICG & ANACS tend to spot more problems and detail grade more coins than the other two. Because the smaller services realized that even a coin that was cleaned or plugged could be graded - the other two had to stop returning coins in body bags. misgraded BIG NOTE HERE: All the top 4 services make mistakes. Nevertheless, in my experience the grading at ANACS and ICG is just as good (exactly the same) as the other two. coins is much higher in ANACS and ICG. I would not recommend a beginner buy these coins, until they can discern problems and grade for themselves. I would recommend a beginner buy coins from all 4 and usually the ANACS, ICG coin in the same grade and just as pretty will be cheaper! I would not recommend buying coins in these holders for most other people because they don't hold their value (?) We can say that about all 4 TPGS. Hold their value? Try explaining to a beginner that a PCGS, NGC MS-66 Saint has held its value :p :arghh: :( :vomit: :yuck: :facepalm: The value of all 4 services slabs fluctuates with the market. , and will be harder to resell. That is usually true; however, great coins sell like hotcakes no matter the slab.

IMO the only reason to spend more money on an NGC or PCGS coin is that there is more demand (so they usually DO bring more money). I'll give you that :muted: :eggface: as I have heard many dealers at shows say they love second tier slabbed coins, prefer the speed, cost and customer service at ANACS and ICG but the coins don't bring as much money.

I say GOOD. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::p:p:p More gems for collectors who buy the coin NOT the slab to make out like bandits!:happy::happy::happy:

PS I'm ordering your grading book next week so I can really get into your head :happy:

atcarroll likes this.
  9. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

A couple more pics of the 1880 cc. Not doubting anyone's opinion here, because you guy's have knowledge that I can only dream of acquiring. The previous photos were taken thru the plastic possibly adding some distortion to the numerals. Not saying that it cannot be a fake, I'm sure that they can also make fake slabs as well. Just investigating more possibilities before going ballistic on the seller. image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. physics-fan3.14

I'll wait to get @messydesk to weigh in on it. He's the ultimate expert.

But, it still looks fake to me.

11. Insider

Who is messydeck, a professional authenticator?

12. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Melt it

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The average coin of the same grade from those two won't have the same eye appeal as the PCGS/NGC one especially with ICG. The best coins end up at PCGS/NGC overwhelmingly. At this point I really don't know what is even keeping ICG in business. But yes you can find some nice coins in ANACS or even sometimes ICG and sometimes even really nice coins but on average eye appeal will likely be lacking for a lot of them.

14. Insider

:rolleyes: You are certifiably NUTS! :wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I just finished a long post about the ignorant, uninformed, misguided and color blind 75% of dealers/collectors who cannot grade or authenticate coins and have absolutely no professional training that I have found offering opinions here. Hope the posters on the other thread get to see this as you just made my point. Thanks!:p:kiss::smuggrin:

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not at all. You do sound like an advertiser though for ICG, they aren't on the same level sorry.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The OP should stick with PCGS or NGC for now. There is plenty of time for him to get more experience, then decide for himself on ANACS, etc on down the line.

Insider likes this.
  17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Gotta agree, big time fake on the 1880 for certain! Try to get your money back, or at least some money back. Especially for the 1880, cc stands for Charlie Chan from China. laughhard.gif

18. Insider

Sorry you think that :rolleyes:; however, I'll admit to defending the underdog and the spread of misinformation :stop:;)

Please allow me some space to correct your :confused::wacky: opinion of me. :kiss:
    ADVERTISE THIS:
    I'm a believer in the truth.:angelic: NOT RELATIVE TRUTH OR OPINION - certifiable truth. IMO, NGC is the best grading service when everything is considered. PCGS comes next. See I do have a favorite. :shame:

Anyone with a brain that can read the posts here KNOW that generally: PCGS coins sell for the most money and NGC is next. Anyone....knows that PCGS and NGC coins are easier to sell and are in more demand.

Here comes another undeniable truth...ANACS and ICG get a bad rap around here, in publications, and all over. I know enough about grading to buy raw coins or TPGS slabs.:bookworm: :smuggrin: I go to over a dozen shows a year + FUN and ANA. I look at coins in slabs and don't care whose opinion is on the label. I have learned from hearsay and personal experience that there are plenty of under-graded and even more over-graded coins in the top four major services' holders. The MAJORITY of under-graded and over-graded coins RESIDE IN NGC & PCGS slabs simply because they have certified hundreds of thousands more coins than ICG and ANACS...Dah!

Unfortunately, I don't know enough or see enough SEGS slabs so I cannot include them in this post. WHEN I'M IGNORANT ON A SUBJECT - I don't write posts. I wish others would follow this practice :cool::p

Draft saved Draft deleted