Because the JFK Gold Half Dollar Was Such a Hit.....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldGoldGuy, Jun 17, 2015.

1. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I'm really liking the SLQ gold piece, the others... meh.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I want a set of those!

5. Heard a rumor these were going to be platinum....maybe they will do both gold and platinum. I'm in.

6. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Isn't the JFK Gold Half 3/4oz? So, these will be thinner or smaller than the originals? If the mintages are high for the gold, I'm only in if legislation is passed for 90% silver versions.

furham likes this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I wouldn't hold your breath SQG.

Doing these in 90% silver is unlikely as it costs the Mint too much to make a coin in .900 fine. There have been complaints (and talk) coming from the Mint for years about discontinuation of the Silver Proof Sets for this exact reason. The 90% blanks are hard to come by, but the legislation mandates .900 fine silver for the sets to match the original .900 fine silver coinage.

Due to a much larger number of suppliers for .999 fine blanks, and thus a larger availability, it would actually cost less to make coins from those, but the enabling legislation unfortunately doesn't take that into account.

8. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Anyone hear about a price range for the set? I know it'll depend on the spot price of AU when they order the blanks.

9. statequarterguy

I don't see it. The mint makes many 90% silver coins now, including the recent MoD dimes. Regardless of what the mint pays for planchets, since it's a monopoly, the mint will always set its sell price to make an obscene profit.

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. OldGoldGuy

I don't know about that. Do you have any documentation saying such? I just don't see how ADDING 10% of the value would be cheaper...regardless of how many suppliers there are. 10% is a huge margin that I cannot see being easier to give away or produce, especially on the scale that the mints orders would be. I don't know. That's why I am asking to see some numbers.

11. statequarterguy

The mint surveyed us a year or so ago, asking if we'd accept .999 instead of 90% and the response was overwhelmingly, leave the coins 90%. The mint did not change them and is still making obscene profits on them.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. OldGoldGuy

Thats what I thought.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This is becoming a rich mans sport/hobby.......

14. statequarterguy

The, "Hobby of kings".

I just received an email with a mint survey. I told them they're destroying the hobby by flooding the market with coins and their greed.

I've been thinking more & more, with the money I spend on coins from the mint each year, I could be taking some really great vacations. As a matter of fact, within a few years, that's exactly where my discretionary income will go. My family will think, I finally grew a brain.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I got that survey but opted to open it in the AM.......when cooler heads will prevail.......

16. coin_analyst

coin_analyst Member

I suppose you could support the US Mint and their evil ways and buy a product that will go up in value quickly then soon after be worth less than you paid... OR you could buy an actual SLQ in uncirculated for the same price (I'm guessing).

Yes, I'm an old grouch when it comes to the Mint. Sorry. I absolutely love classic coins but these issues drive me crazy. Of course, just my personal opinion. :woot:

17. statequarterguy

Oh c'mon, tell them what you really think.

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The reason is that the 90% blanks have a specific composition and there are very few suppliers out there that make them at all any more. Those that do charge a premium OVER what they charge for .999 blanks.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2852231/posts

19. statequarterguy

Yeah, I don't mind the ones that stay up. Be these over produced, over priced gold coins are destine for bullion levels. I don't speculate with strictly bullion, way too risky.

20. statequarterguy

That may be, but the mint still sets its price to make an obscene profit on the 90%, and collectors pay for what they want. 90% is nostalgic and nostalgia sells.

21. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Based on US Mint current gold pricing charts, .85 oz of .999 gold would be approximately $1309.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted