Beautifully toned 1944 Mercury dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RachelRuth, Feb 18, 2018.

1. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

PicsArt_02-18-12.55.20.png PicsArt_02-18-12.59.08.png I just found this in the coin collection that my father has passed down to me. This was just sitting out in a metal bin with a bunch of like old wheat cents. I just have to show it to y'all and get your thoughts on it. The toning is gorgeous (I think anyways). What do you all think? Would this type of toning make it worth any more than the average non toned? To me I feel like if it's that appealing to me then I would be willing to pay more for the colors, but would others?

Anyways, she's a beauty eh?

asheland likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Well if you are happy that's all that matters that's what collecting is all about, and I'm sure there's others that would feel the same way just check ebay out. LOL
    Dave

4. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

It is a lovely old Mercury dime Rachel. You know that looks and price are in the eye of the beholder! Smiles! As my grandfather would say to me in his east Indian accent. "Anthony you must look in the Book". Smiles Again!

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are collectors who will pay a premium for some "toners" and there are others who prefer their coins "blast white". However, if your image is an accurate depiction of the toning on the dime, I wouldn't get my hopes up that it would be worth a premium if I were you.

Chris

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As others have said... What pleases your eye is what’s most important. I used to love toning like that. The Merc dime book I started in the 1970’s is mostly filled with dimes like that. Got around to plugging hard to fill holes ten years ago or so. Now because my eyes don’t cooperate as they once did, I prefer a blast white coin. Only so I can see them better! Or maybe coins have been getting smaller. Not sure which.

dwhiz likes this.
  8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

I was hoping the OP would talk a little about her father state .
    I know when my father received his father coins, I had to go through everyone of them .

I also felt a responsibility to do so ..

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Rick , if it is the date that you are talking about, I suspect it is MD, although the size of the image doesn't allow high confidence. Jim

11. Rick Stachowski

I was looking at the characteristics of the die, compared to the OP coin .
    Dates just a small part of it ..

Dies 1 and 2 are also pretty close to the same .
    So without some closeups, all is lost .....

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad someone with an interest in coins got his collection. I'd like to posts of some of the other coins he had. This dime looks very nice but I bet it's better in hand. Glad you like it. It something to hang on to fit constant memories.

13. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

I'll show you some more of the coins, I've been going through them and learning a lot. I have some really neat ones from India. My grandmother was from India. I'll also try to get more pictures. What is it you need to see better in the images?

14. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Okay, I took a few more pictures hoping to give you what you need to see. Also a couple more pictures of a couple other ones I've found in the collection this hour. I'll post some of the ones from India soon. I think they're pretty ancient but I'm not 100% certain what era there from. Although I would love to know if anyone has any clue, let me know after I post them for y'all to see

Different lighting with the pictures because I'm taking them between caring for my 2 yro daughter and my grandkids. I apologise.

Rachel

Attached Files:

asheland likes this.
  15. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

This ones so pretty, it's full of colors.

So, this is the best I can do for that 1944 Mercury pictures. I'm sorry, I tried.

Rachel

Attached Files:

RonSanderson likes this.
  16. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

17. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Small splotch of brown on one side of a circulated coin will never bring a premium.

18. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Yeah it doesn't really matter because I think it's really pretty and that's really all that matters. Also, these pictures do it no justice, it's much prettier in person. You can't see all the colors it has.

Rachel

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like it but more importantly, you do!

Draft saved Draft deleted