Beautiful Walking Liberty Half I Was Outbid On

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by IBetASilverDollar, Oct 30, 2017.

1. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Most bummed I've been about a lost auction in awhile. I love everything about this coin and made what I thought was a strong bid and it still went for $200 over on GC (their images below). Oh well at least it wasn't like $10 I missed by wasn't meant to be.

Take a look, it's a stunner to me. Older NGC holder MS67. Ended up going for $721 + BP. If anyone here won it, congrats let us know how it is in hand!

[​IMG]

chuck123, Kasia, sidestick and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Great toning and surfaces. I can see people really wanting that one.

Gregg, carpman98 and Lemme Caution like this.
  4. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

The Walking Liberty is my favorite coin of all time, and this one's a beauty.

chuck123, Gregg and fish4uinmd like this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

When considering coins like that, if you even pull out the sheets to start formulating your bid, you've probably already lost the auction.

The very nature of of how collectibles are priced is best defined by coins like the one you've identified above . . . it is the emotional response a special coin evokes which establishes "seat-of-the-pants" pricing, which defies the generic pricing found in price guides. Along the way, very seasoned collectors learn that referencing generic pricing usually puts one in the wrong mindset to acquire such coins.

Chalk this up as a lesson well-learned . . . maybe it'll help you buy that true collection centerpiece next time you see one.

6. Lemme Caution

That's an interesting twist.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He's spot on. The great coins go above guide the majority of the time, if you get a truly special one for guide luck was involved.

Kasia, sidestick and Lemme Caution like this.
  8. Lemme Caution

I suppose if it's true for art in general it would also be true for coins; after all, they are a type of art.

9. IBetASilverDollar

Absolutely, especially in this instance with a series I'm not familiar with - definitely a learning experience. I just knew that this coin didn't look like the few WL's I've owned or seen listed - I didn't know what the meant for it's hammer price.

I also mistakenly thought GC didn't have as much last second bidding as this auction had which I suppose is naïve. I've bought a handful of coins there and it's been my experience that the realized price doesn't jump a ton the last 5 minutes. This one went from $400 to $721 in the final 10 seconds which I just didn't see coming.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

That's a beauty!

11. Lemme Caution

Sounds like a very valuable lesson learned, and one that you will stand you in good stead in the future.

12. John T.

John T. Active Member

Fantastic! Had a 46 that was perfect, no toning. Lost it - x wife.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    FBLfinder and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  13. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!!!

I missed out on a really cool Merc. Dime on eBay, because my sniping software decided to have an error at the moment my bid was supposed to be placed. The auction ended with a single bidder at the opening bid... Man was I screaming at the computer.. LOL

15. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

I won it. Will let you know what it looks like in hand. I really did not think it would go so high, and was hoping to get it for $600. At $811 including fees and shipping, I overpaid. But I'm obviously not the only one that recognized this coin as something special.

Kasia, C-B-D, SorenCoins and 4 others like this.
  16. IBetASilverDollar

You son of a... :D

Congrats! I thought for about 8 seconds that I won it for ~$600. I refreshed after it ended and it showed me as high bidder then when I clicked on the ended auctions tab saw it was outbid Got teased a bit.

17. MercuryBen

Winners curse. I won, but I spent way too much money and now have no money to spend on other coins . . . .

18. IBetASilverDollar

I think we've all been there before haha

Well you know who to come to if other coins come along and you need to free some funds up!

19. Lemme Caution

Actually, you didn't "lose" it per se, you paid it as part of the ransom to be set free.

20. Lemme Caution

Now THAT is what I would call an occasion of well nigh inconsolable frustration! :mad:

21. MercuryBen

Just picked up the coin from the post office. It's quite beautiful. I would say the toning is a bit prettier and stronger in hand than in the pictures, particularly on the obverse. The toning around the edge is also more blue than purple. I won't be selling and will probably just leave in the old NGC holder for a few years before determining whether to crack, cross, resubmit, etc. I think the coin is prettier than any of the MS67+ TrueView images on CoinFacts, and the surfaces appear as clean as most of the 67+ images.

Draft saved Draft deleted