Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Maurizio, I just realized you had posted this same bond a while back. I'm glad I finally added one to my collection so I could see the whole piece.

petronius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

applausi.gif

Maurizio :)

4. petronius

petronius Duke

5. petronius

petronius Duke

gsalexan and SteveInTampa like this.
  6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

I recently acquired a couple myself, got a merril lynch one signed by pierce on the back, looks like an actual signature, and an apparel company signed for founder, forgot which. Im hooked haha, only problem is all the ones i find have so many holes punched, stamps etc.

7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Greg, do you know when companies stopped issuing certificates when you bought shares? I remember getting physical share certificates from one company about 20 years ago. I'm just wondering when the last (presuming it has already happened) actual certificate was printed.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Dave, I still had the option for receiving physical shares in my former company's stock buying program until around 2003-2004. Around that time the company moved to the digital accounting of shares. However, I believe you still can request a physical printed paper hard copy certificate. Whoever the broker is who handles the shares should be able to take the request, though I wouldn't expect many of the young people in the customer service role to know immediately offhand how it is done, so may take a bit of inquiry and a waiting period for the certificate of shares to be issued and shipped to you. What with how fast many of these brokers buy and sell shares, the old system is really a burden to the speed of trade these days.

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Interesting Chris, thanks. If I remember I'll ask my stock broker next time we talk and see if he can get them. I don't think I'd push him to do it, I'm sure he's not going to hand me something like what we see on this thread :)

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Depending on the company issuing the stocks, the modern ones tend to lack the "WOW" factor that we tend to see around the forum and like to collect. They tend to be on the plain side.

11. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

You have to pay a fee to receive stock certs now, and it makes it quite annoying if you decide to sell, because you have to send the cert to broker and have them register it to their "street name" otherwise you cannot trade it. And I believe they are very plain and not rich in design like the old ones

12. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Which ironically worked to benefit me, my grandfather recently passed this summer and his estate was robbed, the only thing they couldnt liquidate was the stock, thank god for that

midas1 likes this.
  13. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Any elderly people, id advise looking into irrevocable trusts to place as least part of your assets if you intend to leave your children/grandchildren money,stock, or bonds. This is a large and growing trend right now in america, preying on elderly people and financially abusing them. Its not your fault when your old and faculties are not there, make your family's future secure.

Kasia likes this.
  14. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

15. gsalexan

Correct -- and it often approaches $100, above the actual value of the shares. I have a certificate of Disney stock still in my name that I've considered cashing in, but I like it too much. Fortunately there are bazillions of cancelled shares on the collector market, if you can stand the punch holes. ;-)

Dave, I think the practice of certificating shares started to fade away in the early 1990s, as computer trading became more prevalent. The original reason we have intaglio certificates is because the NYSE required it of all companies trading on its exchange back in the 1870s, I believe, to avoid counterfeiting. So at some point in the 1990s they must have lifted the requirement.

Kasia likes this.
  16. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Decided to jumpstart the collection for Christmas, spent a measly 400 bucks, got a ton of cool ones, Ill post pics as they arrive, I was excited to find a decent amount of high denom bonds, got 2.1m face value jcpenny bond 13 bucks. 100,000 face value bond national steel 1977. A 1969 Rio Tinto bond 14 bucks. 1970 chrysler bond for 3 dollars and 99 cents! Its interesting that before the DTCC officially stopped issuing any paper stock certificates, it was a minimum cost of 50 dollars for isssuance. I assumed the market would value that, but now they wont ever be made. It seems people hyped the mrket up right after hurricane sandy because the DTCC vault in nyc was flooded and many many many stock certs/bonds ruined. Although this has a great effect in the long run, it seems to have frustrated most of the collectors out of the market since then. If you google "dtcc stock certificates" theres like over 10 articles hyping trillions in lost securities. Then silence. Then a year later DTCC formally digitizes as they have planed since 2002. Oh heres a nice tidbit of info to compare paper currency to stocks/bonds, all the fed reserve banks have huge hoards of beautiful notes, theoretically that could be dumped into collectors market if price got too high. DTCC has stated they will destroy all stocks/bonds held in 6 yrs. I almost couldnt believe it when I read it.
    Jul12010
    DTCC Reaches Out to Issuers
    You may not know us, but as the central depository for the United States, we hold in custody an estimated 90% of all U.S. securities valued at $33.9 trillion.”

apparently theyve been destroying the old certs voluntarily for years, they had about 30m actual certs in the 90s, and according to this a yr be4 sandy, they were down to 1m certs. http://www.dtcc.com/news/2011/march/01/certificates-in-dtc-vaults-drop-below-1-million.aspx

this is a security industry wide , march,2013 thing http://www.dtcc.com/news/2013/march/12/full_dematerialization.aspx

Accelerate the destruction of non-transferable securities

The required holding time for the destruction of non-transferable securities is currently six years. (Non-transferable securities are typically those of a company that has become insolvent or gone out of business.) DTC is proposing to reduce the holding time to four years and also will support an industry initiative to better define non-transferable or worthless securities so they can be removed from a client’s account in less than four years.

Taken together, I see this as the best investment in collectibles ive ever seen. They are literally going to be voluntarily destroyed. Suddenly very scarce. Try and find any stocks or bonds from L F Rothschild bank, i couldnt find 1 out there anywhere. Lehman Brothers first share issuance went for 33,000 recently. Ok enough hype, certain names, will command those premiums. Rockefellar signature on a standard oil bond went for 100k+ Should be very interesting

My portfolio returned 33% last yr in stock market and 15% this yr, so i deserve a treat! Merry Christmas everyone, hope to post some photos soon!

gsalexan likes this.
  17. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

18. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

19. gsalexan

WHOA, slow down podnah! I enjoy looking at these but let's not drown the thread in unnecessary text. It's easy enough to scroll through eBay, I'd rather you selectively post higher res images of the ones you like most from your collection. :)

20. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

lol sorry, ill edit it out, just excited to be able to put something away for my grandkids as was done for me

21. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Is that more acceptable? :p

Draft saved Draft deleted