Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Here's one of my favorite railroad stocks. I waited quite a while to get one of these at what I considered a reasonable price. Vandalia used this vignette on both stocks and bonds. It was engraved by Western Bank Note Co. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

old49er and midas1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

Thank you Greg :smile

I also think that the Cox's book is the best, I will assess purchase.

I had already seen the Terry Cox's website, but I had not deepened...very interesting :thumb:

Maurizio :smile

4. petronius

petronius Duke

And now, three French companies :D

A chemical company...

produit chimiques.jpg

...a railway company

chemindefer de la provence1.jpg chemindefer de la provence2.jpg

...and a steamship company

chargeurs reunis.jpg

petronius :cool:

midas1 likes this.
  5. gsalexan

Prego. ;)

I like the three French certificates, especially the art on the steamship stock. Are any of these intaglio?

6. gsalexan

I'll add another couple of railroad stocks -- neither of which feature trains. The vignette and particularly the letter engraving on the Nassau certificate is outstanding. And three nice vignettes on the Philly stock is a bonus.

Attached Files:

SteveInTampa likes this.
  7. gsalexan

I picked up another nice stock certificate recently (under $10!) of the North American Lumber Co. Although it's unissued, it was printed between 1835-39 by Draper, Toppan, Longacre & Co. This was the period obsolete banknotes were at their peak and this stock bears a great resemblance, even the paper is the thin tissue type. I know I've seen the cherub and Washington vignettes on banknotes from that era. It's a great crossover piece of ephemera.

Attached Files:

petronius and SteveInTampa like this.
  8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I posted this last night in the New Acquisitions thread I believe it qualifies fir the Beautiful Stocks and Bonds thread.

"This one arrived an hour ago. It started out as as very stressful expensive purchase.
    After dropping the original vendor then purchasing from scripophily.net all is well.
    The certificate is blemish free and beautiful. IMO, it's over the top and a break from
    my usual ABNCo purchases.

The posted image is not an image of the certificate I bought. It's a picture of the certificate I originally tried to purchase. My certificate is in much better condition.
    However, it is much too large to be scanned at home."

compagnie des certificate1200.jpg

Endeavor, old49er, USS656 and 2 others like this.
  9. gsalexan

Big Like! The artwork on that is terrific. This appears to be for the Bruges Maritime Facilities Co., is that close? Like shipyards or warehouses, perhaps?

10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Thanks Greg. The certificate looks much better than the scanned image . There is so much going on with this one. Original coupons are still attached.
    You're right I ran the text on the certificate through an online translator that responded with:Company of Marine Facilities in Bruges

from the vendor's description:

"Beautifully engraved certificate from the Compagnie Des Installations Maritimes De Bruges issued in 1904. This historic document was printed by the Societe St Augustin and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a shows an beautiful angelic woman holding a torch viewing the inland port of Bruges with 3 views of the city including an old harbor and the inner city. The company was formed in 1895 to construct the port installations and a canal. This item is hand signed by the Company’s Administrator and is over 109 years old.

Bruges, sometimes called the 'Venice of the North' because of its many canals and beautiful structures that line its numerous canals. This splendid medieval city is one of Belgium's crown jewels. In no other European area does one have the feel and the look of medieval times that are present in this city close to the North Sea. Bruges is unique, in the sense that the town authorities have done the utmost to preserve the medieval-looking image of the city. The combination of old and the not so old, fascinates everyone who visits beautiful Bruges"

11. gsalexan

I picked up four fantastic railroad stocks this week, so it's time to give this thread a bump. These are all unissued (read: affordable) and the engraved vignettes of locomotives are in excellent shape. I even like the bears on the Missouri state seal.

Hannibal & St Joe RR.jpg Hannibal St. Joe bears.jpg Hannibal St. Joe cu.jpg Keokuk & Western RR.jpg Keokuk & Western RR cu.jpg Tarkio Valley RR.jpg Tarkio Valley RR cu.jpg Chi Burl & Northern RR.jpg Untitled-1.jpg

old49er, USS656, midas1 and 2 others like this.
  12. gsalexan

I picked up a nice bond for a song on eBay last week and it just arrived. The pretty women are quite attractive and the typography on the initial "C" is very impressive.

This is a specimen certificate, which I find fascinating and have quite a number of them. Specimens were printed by the bank note company (in this case American Bank Note) to show the client for approval, for archival file copies, and sometimes extras were printed for use in salesmen's sample books. They were typically numbered 00000 and stamped "SPECIMEN" in several places. Security-Columbian
    Bank Note didn't use serial numbers on their specimens.

Anyone go to high school in Hartford? This bond may have funded your building!

Hartford city bond.jpg Hartford city bond cu.jpg

USS656 and midas1 like this.
  13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Figure I bump this thread with a couple of my stocks and stuff

[​IMG]

gsalexan and Kasia like this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

[​IMG]

sorry for the glare. Was too lazy to take them out of the folder.

midas1, USS656 and Kasia like this.
  15. gsalexan

That first one is very interesting -- scenes from around the globe from the Egyptian pyramids to the London Bridge! Is that from an early motion picture company? 1906 would have been right at the dawn of the silent film industry.

16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

The only thing I could tell is that its a French movie company. Unless I'm wrong my research shows that they made mainly theatrical movies and quite a lot too.

17. gsalexan

Very cool. Those would have been some of the earliest commercial films. Even the "feature" films weren't much longer than 20 minutes at that time. The Lumiere brothers invented the the French movie camera -- the Cinématographe -- and went on to shoot hundreds of movies themselves. I can't tell from the scan, but are any of the signatures on that bond "Lumiere"? http://www.earlycinema.com/pioneers/lumiere_bio.html

You inspired me to scan a few stocks from American movie companies. These are a little more recent, but the first one (Orpheum) was a chain of theatres that showed silent movies and also vaudeville shows.
    Orpheum Circuit stock.jpg Orpheum Circuit cu.jpg Lowe's Boston Theatres stock.jpg Lowe's Boston Theatres cu.jpg Paramount Pictures stock.jpg

midas1, USS656, icerain and 1 other person like this.
  18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

It could be but I can't tell exactly if the signature is Lumiere, its a bit too smudged.

19. gsalexan

I picked up a very nice (and very cheap) bond that arrived today, so I scanned a few images. These West Shore RR bonds have always amused me with their principal due dates: Jan. 1, 2361! That's right, these were 375 YEAR BONDS. They were essentially junk bonds of the day and to coax buyers, the company spared no expense on the design and printing -- and they printed a whole bunch. The landscape vignette is gorgeous, the lettering is striking and even the coupons are tiny works of art. West Shore also put out a horizontal bond, but I think this one is even more ornate. What intrigued me most is stunning space filler on the back, in an area typically left blank. American Bank Note did a great job on this one! Now if only I had a bigger scanner.

West Shore vert bond.jpg West Shore vert bond coupons.jpg West Shore vert bond back.jpg

old49er, USS656, petronius and 3 others like this.
  20. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Nice! You sure get your money's worth on artwork on that one!

357 years, so that means I buy a bond and leave it to my heirs to find out if West Shore is still around to pay it off 357 years later? Yeah, that's a leap of faith...

21. gsalexan

Those buyers were an optimistic lot, weren't they? Then again, this was issued in 1885 and cancelled in 1978 -- so it almost made it to the century mark! By my calculations it didn't have nearly enough coupons attached. They would have needed 23 pages of them to make it all the way to 2361.

Draft saved Draft deleted