Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

Another mining Company, from Mexico, 1910.

The "Compañia Carbonifera de Rio Escondido" established in 1907

"tiene por objeto explotar los terrenos que se aportan à ella en su escritura constitutiva, practicando quantas operaciones se relacionen con la exploraciòn, adquisiciòn y venta de carbon, petròleo y cualquiera otra clase de combustible."

The Company was established for a term of 50 years, with a share capital of 2 million pesos, represented by 20,000 shares of 100 pesos each, like the one you see here.

rio escondido.jpg

On February 28, 1827, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad became the first U.S. railway chartered for commercial transport of passengers and freight....do you know the history of Tom Thumb's race? :rolleyes:

baltimore&ohio.jpg

Northern Pacific Railway Company, $ 1,000 4% bond

northern pacific.jpg northern pacific2.jpg

petronius :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

4. petronius

petronius Duke

The Cuba Railroad Company, New Jersey

cuba railroad.jpg

and "el ferro-carril de Guantànamo", Cuba

ferrocarril del guantanamo.jpg

petronius :smile

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

petronius :smile[/QUOTE]"NO people can be both ignorant and free": Just not for long.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Really like those first two! Can you read the artist's name off the second one?

Dave

7. petronius

petronius Duke

He is Emile Renders, a Belgian artist (the Company was established in Bruxelles).

For the Italian forum lamoneta.it, I wrote the story of the railway Rome-Civita Castellana-Viterbe, when I purchased the stock

http://www.lamoneta.it/topic/54448-rome-civita-castellana-viterbe/

It's in Italian, of course, but if you are interested, maybe could you use an online translator ;)

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks Petronius!
    Dave

9. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I have a matching specimen bond from this company for $100,000 -- the largest printed denomination I've ever seen. It has a very well-known vignette that shows up on a number of other stocks: "Pioneer Spirit," engraved for American Bank Note probably in the 1930s or '40s by William Adolph, Louis Delnoce and Sydney Smith.

Remind me to drag my specimen stocks and bonds over to the scanner one of these days...

Attached Files:

10. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Love the RR stocks!

11. petronius

petronius Duke

These are for you :D

Beech Creek

beech creek railroad.jpg

West Shore

west shore.jpg

Delaware, Lackawanna & Western

delaware lackawanna & western.jpg

Western Maryland

western maryland.jpg

petronius :cool:

12. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Thank you, those are great! Oddly enough, the most beautiful one, the West Shore, has no trains depicted on it :smile

Oops, upon closer inspection, it does!

13. petronius

petronius Duke

See you tomorrow for other ;)

14. petronius

petronius Duke

This is important for me, it's the first stock I purchased...many years ago :rolleyes:

Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Co.

pittsburgh.jpg

And this is my oldest...August 1872

Little Miami Railroad Company

miami railroad companyD.jpg

One of my favorites

Boston and Albany Railroad Company

boston & albany.jpg

petronius :cool:

15. gsalexan

That West Shore RR bond always makes me smile. Did you notice the due date on it? 2361! It was a 400+ year bond.

I picked up a *gorgeous* piece last week for a pittance -- an 1872 bond from the Kentucky and Great Eastern Railway. This one is partially signed but unissued. The vignettes are terrific, both front and back, including the central one entitled "Boone rescued by Kenton." I'm sure there's a story in that one. It has some microprinting showing it was engraved in 1858 for Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson, the same year American Bank Note was formed. (It's an ABN bond, of course.)

Attached Files:

16. gsalexan

Here's a close up of the back. Incidentally, there are a number of these on ebay that can be had for probably $20 or less.

Attached Files:

17. petronius

petronius Duke

I like it very much :hail:

18. DM1

DM1 Active Member

No, I missed that too :rollling:

19. petronius

petronius Duke

Could you give me some advice about literature on US stocks & bonds, especially railroads?

I have this book, Standard Catalog of Stocks & Bonds, by Krause Publications, since many years, but I'm not very satisfied, I think it is incomplete and approximate

stocks & bonds1.jpg

I have also an old (1996) German book for US railroads stocks, U.S. Eisenbahnen, by Bernd Suppe (someone knows it?) and it's about good, but now I found these, and I'm curious to find out more.

This is the first, Antique Stock Certificate Almanac 2005, available also in Europe (UK) at a good price

stocks & bonds2.jpg

and this is the second, Collectible Stocks and Bonds from North American Railroads, available only in USA, at a very cheap price, but shipment to Italy costs more than book :p

stocks & bonds3.jpg

Do you know them? or other books?

Thanks.

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Back on post 38 I mentioned I bid on a warrant and bond set that NorthKorea posted, well here it is. I did win it. I was the only bid. Thanks NorthKorea.

Attached Files:

21. gsalexan

You are actually ahead of me on the catalogs. There are SO many varieties and companies that a comprehensive list of everything is really impossible. I have a couple "picture books" by George LaBarr from the 1980s, but they aren't really catalogs. As far as railroads stocks and bonds, I do have that last book and it contains a vast amount of information. I correspond regularly with Terry Cox, the author. Instead of putting together a third edition of it, he decided to create a searchable website by soliciting information and images from collectors and dealers. If I find an unlisted railroad stock on eBay, for instance, I capture a photo and the final bid to send to him. He has collected so much new info in the past 10 years (more than 23,000 companies) that if he published another print edition it would be about five inches thick. The website is far more useful because it's searchable.

Take a look and see what you think:
    http://www.coxrail.com/database/private.asp

Greg

Draft saved Draft deleted