Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. scopru

scopru Member

I see some signed and some not signed. Is the general preference an issued stock or unsigned unissued stock? Or it doesn't matter?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Personally, either is fine with me; but that's just me.

4. scopru

scopru Member

Well I have officially dipped my toe in to the waters on a small lot. I will be interested to get them in hand and share a few on here. I simply saw one too many of you all's posts to resist any longer. As the Borg say "Resistance is futile."

gsalexan likes this.
  5. techwriter

scopru: it'll be okay; be brave and jump in with the rest of us!! LOL
    Oh, I really like your avatar; 2 of my sons were Marines; the "baby" is a recently retired Gunny! Semper Fi.
    marinecorps_dad.jpg

BunkerTrapMan likes this.
  6. scopru

scopru Member

ARE Marines tech just may no longer be wearing the uniform but the title is never gone :) Once a Marine Always a Marine. Was that a test for me? HAHA

And please convey a hearty and LOUD Semper Fi Devil Dog to each of them for me!

I ended my time as a Sgt.

And to your comment: The sample I have ordered is likely to turn into a flood of items before long. The bravery comes when the wife realizes I have branched out again and will need some more storage space.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    BunkerTrapMan and gsalexan like this.
  7. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I think advanced collectors prefer them to be signed and issued, so unissued stocks tend to be a little cheaper. But I don't have a preference, either.

8. techwriter

Be careful or you'll end up with a "mish-mash" of documents and you will be thinking why this one or why that one? Sort of focus and see what truly interests you and your psyche!! Me, I like old vintage machines, old American manufacturers and their physical plants, etc. Of course, railroads will always be a popular genre with me as a couple of my grandchildren are avid railroad fans.
    stk_train_Canada-Southern-Railroad_Dec71966_face.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. gsalexan

If you're buying on eBay, my advice is to be patient. When you find a stock or bond you like do a lot of searching to see who has the best price. There's often a wide spectrum of pricing for the very same item.

10. techwriter

11. scopru

scopru Member

Good advice. I will certainly not shotgun method purchase. I did purchase the book by Hollender. Scripophily: The Art of Finance. So I should have some reading to do before I do more than this first little mixed batch I ordered. I would also ask what you store your stocks and bonds in? I assume some are not in protective (acid free) sleeves and others are.

12. techwriter

13. techwriter

14. scopru

scopru Member

15. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

I found my 1988 ABN Railroad Note Cards set of six scenes. now all I have to do is follow previous instructions to upload the scans (2 PER). btw I found out that my scanner was not installed n my new laptop. DocFile (1).jpg DocFile (2).jpg DocFile (3).jpg

16. gsalexan

I remember when those were first offered by ABN. They seemed expensive to me at the time, but I wish I had a set now. ABN also put out a series of holiday cards in 1988. I picked up an incomplete set recently, still in its cellophane. These came with a strip of gold foil ABNCo stickers.

Drawde, if your railroad cards have any text on the back, would you mind scanning one?

Santa ABNC.jpg

ABN holiday card sledding.jpg ABN holiday card stagecoach.jpg
    ABN holiday card back.jpg
    ABN holiday card wrapping.jpg

17. Drawde

Hi... Yes, I will scan the last Note Card #206. The series was 201,2,3,4,5,&6. Also in the scan is a copy of my old business card done by Mike Bean the BEP Spider Press operator who now owns many of the ABN dies. The engraving on my card was one of them. If this does not work send a pm so that I can provide my emai.

Attached Files:

18. gsalexan

Interesting! And my cards are numbered C101,2,3, etc -- C for Christmas, most likely. Yours start with 2, which seems to indicate that was the second series. I'll have to do some checking to see what the first "regular" series was.

19. Drawde

I have the pamphlet that came with my cards and it shows five sets for Christmas 1988... Christmas Cards (9001), Sailing Ships (9002), Railroads (9003), Horses (9004), and Flowers (9005) @ $23.75 per box plus $.75 shipping. I also have my payment receipt. I just wanted the trains....

20. gsalexan

Great information -- so, about $2 per card. Back in 1988 that was a little spendy for me. Today it would be quite reasonable. Did the pamphlet show any of the other designs?

21. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Art supply stores have archival albums that are reasonably priced that will fit stocks and the larger sized bonds.

scopru and gsalexan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted