Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

This is a print obtained from a scan of a stock certificate. The pictures that are printed on some stock are simply beautiful, so I make little dust collectors out of them.

midas1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Neat idea! I did a little sleuthing to see if I could figure out which stock your picture came from. Is this it?
    IMG_20171111_103736.JPG

midas1 likes this.
  4. Jersey magic man

Pretty close. Mine is dated 1961 so maybe Fidelity dropped out of the race by then. Or maybe it is completely different bank.

Zinc rot003.jpg

gsalexan likes this.
  5. Jersey magic man

Here are some more of my stock certificates that have neat engravings.

Cows Stock001.jpg
    Loom Stock001.jpg
    Loom Stock002.jpg
    Spoke Stock001.jpg
    Spoke Stock002.jpg
    Telephone Stock001.jpg

That's enough for now. I am sure someone is getting sick of my images.

6. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

7. gsalexan

Not at all! I like seeing other members posts. I have both the Crompton and the Gray certificates because I like those cool vignettes, too. :D

I found another currency match with my American Sugar Refining Co. stock -- this time with a nice Cuban note I picked up recently.

10p Cuba 1896 front.jpg
    American Sugar cu.jpg
    American Sugar specimen.jpg

SteveInTampa, MEC2 and midas1 like this.
  8. Jersey magic man

I like the Pine Apple stock because it shows so many types of transportation at one time. You have sailing ships, coal powered ship, railroad, and horse drawn carts, all working at the same period of time. Sort of a transportation transition snapshot.

gsalexan likes this.
  9. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

gsalexan likes this.
  10. scopru

scopru Member

Nice Cuban and stock to go with. I like that pairing.

11. gsalexan

That first article on Roberts Petroleum Torpedos is an excellent read! It changed the entire game for early oil drilling. Yet, this company was completely unknown to me, and I'd guess to most everyone outside the industry. Thanks for a very educational post!

12. gsalexan

That Crompton and Knowles loom machinery reminded me of another stock with a loom vignette. This one was made by Draper Corp. and doesn't look quite as complex.

Draper Corp cu.jpg
    Draper Corp.jpg

13. techwriter

Don't have the Draper stock nor a check. I "think" I saw an ad for stationery or perhaps a billhead but didn't purchase them. Want to see a complex loom?
    640px-Saco-Lowell_Roving_Frame.jpg
    From Wikipedia:
    The Saco-Lowell Shops (later Saco-Lowell Corporation) was once one of the largest textile machine manufacturers in the United States. It was formed in 1912 with a merger between the Lowell Machine Shop with the Saco-Pettee Machine Company. At its peak in the 1920s, the company had manufacturing facilities in Lowell and Newton, Massachusetts, and Biddeford, Maine. The company maintained their executive office at 77 Franklin Street in Boston, and also had a southern office in Charlotte, North Carolina.

During the mid-20th century, Saco-Lowell was one of the "big three" cotton textile machinery builders in New England, along with the Whitin Machine Works and the Draper Corporation. While cotton machinery was the company's mainstay, Saco-Lowell also made machinery for the woolen and silk industries.

14. techwriter

15. techwriter

[​IMG]
    Not sure it's a caduceus.
    US_Army_Medical_Corps_Branch_Plaque.gif caduces-image.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain I've seen that dog on the reverse on a South American banknote. Peru?? I can't remember.

18. gsalexan

Here's what was posted previously about the caduceus...

19. scopru

scopru Member

Question: Where do you all find most of these? Are you buying on ebay or some other places? Are you getting them in bulk or ones and twos here and there? Also what are some indicators to fake or reproduction pieces vs the real deal?

20. gsalexan

eBay is the main source, but there are some dealers who also have their own websites. There is also a major show coming up in January in the DC area: http://www.rsschell.com/

I buy mostly single stocks and bonds as I find ones that interest me.

There are very few fakes -- there's just too little demand and the prices are too low to make counterfeiting practical.

21. scopru

scopru Member

Thank you for the reply.

gsalexan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted