Beautiful New Coin: Gold 1982 West African States 5,000 CFA

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Sep 5, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I finally have the coin in hand and had posted on it before: fullsizeoutput_1585.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1586.jpeg

This is the 1982 WAS 5,000 CFA Francs coin. What makes it special is that it is struck in gold. The silver and even silver essai versions are of larger size, quite beautiful but not the presence of this one.
    There was also a silver 1972 WAS 500 CFA coin only available in silver and silver "essai" versions.

This is a "currency" specimen, not considered proof (although very prooflike) and without the word "essai" which would run vertically just to the right of the Taku figure. Internet site Colnect states only that 32 specimens were struck of the essai. This is only the second I have never seen & currency mintages are unlisted - although I would tend to bet should they become available that they are not the number released.

Even the silver coin at the time of the same denomination was sold at above face value and silver content.

To confuse matters just a bit there is a gold "essai" version of the larger silver coin, much larger in size and weight but same denomination which is also dated 1982.

chrisild, tibor, Seattlite86 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Did you post this coin already ?

4. sidestick

sidestick Member

What is an "Essai" Version?

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think it means pattern ?

6. sidestick

sidestick Member

Thanks!

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes I posted the initial pictures from Bowers-Merena and these are "in hand".

Essai does indeed equal pattern or trial.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Nice! One of my favorite coins in either date.

Draft saved Draft deleted