Beautiful Byzantines

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here is one that I bought a while ago as an unidentified Trebizond coin, but it seems to be Sear 2538, supposedly, an unpublished coin of John VI and John V. I can't verify this as I couldn't find any pictures of 2538 anywhere. What do you think?

Sear-2538.jpg

upload_2019-12-30_8-33-18.png

seth77, Marsyas Mike, tibor and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I can't make anything out on one side but I definitely see a Nimbate figure on horseback on the other.

Theodosius and Quant.Geek like this.
  4. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

I think we play in different leagues. It was fun how somebody above said "CT members have nice byzantine coins". If by CT members we understand you, BenSi and Panzerman, then yes, it is true. The rest of us saw nice byzantines only in pictures, and I am 99.99% certain that we do not have a Sear 2538.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  5. Quant.Geek

The problem with several of the byzantine coins that are somewhat unpublished is that it is either truly unpublished or it has been published elsewhere. My hope was that, in this case, since it is mentioned in DOC and Sear, but without pictures, that somebody has some material on these type of coinage in reference form. Maybe in Bendall's book which I do not have...

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It that were my coin I would eliminate other possibilites, can't be too many similar types. Or you could ask Sear.

7. Quant.Geek

Thanks David. That was the first thing I did and thus I exhausted both Trebizond and all other coins in Sear. This coin is the only match in regards to Obverse and Reverse. I checked all of my references and none of them mention this coin other than DOC and Sear. I'll see if I can talk to Sear...

8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

In that case, that must be it assuming the authors are correct. Only did it once, but he responded by email to an inquiry I had about an unpublished Heraclius (identification only). I can give you his address if you like.

9. Quant.Geek

Please do as it would be an awesome verification :D

10. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

In the concordance 4 in DOC Vol. 5, pt 2, p. 547, that relates the Sear numbers with their parallel references, Sear 2538 = Bendall's PCPC 299, where it is listed as a copper assarion. Yours certainly looks like billon. The Bendall coin is plated, although it is not as clear as your example. If you lack Bendall's book, I can send you the image. I don't have a scanner at home, but I plan to photograph some coins later today and I can photograph the image and send it to you if you like. Your mounted saint is George - I see the first alpha for Ά[γιος], then Γε/ώρ[γιος]. And there are certainly 2 imperial figures on the other side.

Valentinian and Quant.Geek like this.
  11. Quant.Geek

Thanks for the confirmation. The coin is definitely a I don't have Bendall's PCPC and thus those scans will definitely come in handy.

Voulgaroktonou likes this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here are some odds and ends...
    AV Histamenon ND Constantinople Romanus III
    AV Semissis ND Syracuse Mint Theophilus
    AV Hyperypron ND The 27e98002af7c34fa205886d2ecccf193.jpg 82492b76df0bd078476c0e543344a0b4.jpg ec475ae1e5b0fe716168d837b6f42dea (1).jpg e538abd21b140e295bfae2b3c81ec8f5.jpg ssalonika Mint Alexius I
    AV Hyperypron ND Thessalonika Mint John II

13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Wow! A spectacular group--and far more than a few! I see some classic rarities and many wonderful coins. Thanks for showing us some of your collection.

Voulgaroktonou and Quant.Geek like this.
  14. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

My only Byzantine- 5E9EC929-5754-485A-89C0-5B86A08E4D2B.jpeg Zeno solidus - Constantinople mint c476-491 AD

15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Tony1982, I like your solidus of Zeno :D. The toning accentuates the coins details ;). For comparison here is a solidus of Zeno struck under the authority of Theodoric, the Ostrogothic king (one of my favorite coins).

Theodoric solidus of Zeno.jpg
    Theodoric (for Zeno) AD 493-526, AV solidus: 4.47 gm, 21 mm, 6 h.

16. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

How about a Class C issue by Michael IV, 1034-1041. Its beautiful.
    f2.jpg

17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

BenSi, Lovely coin :D! The image of Christ is almost ghost-like :eek:.

panzerman likes this.
  18. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Thanks Al, your coin ( Beautiful) and the previous posts make me want some more gold. It might be an expensive day. Happy New Year!

Theodosius likes this.
  19. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Originally, when I started collecting Byzantines I set a goal of getting a follow or aspirin trachy of the “best” emperor from each dynasty. I read about all of the emperors and chose which ones I thought were the best out of them. Here is a group shot. As with all things I have a few overlaps. Currently there are three left from the original list: Constantine VI and Irene, Isaac II, and Michael VIII. If you all want some identification for the ones below, please let me know. All of them have already been posted by others. 7484F7E2-867B-44BF-A78B-EEDAC296BA3A.jpeg 164197C3-8410-47FF-8A09-8EC0F092B0B5.jpeg 6E6BCC01-2413-461E-A972-DA7697EB5A9B.jpeg 87047DD9-D825-4B09-93E6-A456272DD4D0.jpeg

20. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

When I went to the Summer FUN show this year I did get to see this. I essentially want the follis version of this. I like the five portraits. 97D67677-B25A-43AA-8AE1-76190392D2AA.jpeg 50F6B7AD-1402-4AB4-9DA9-1E8A2894BB6A.jpeg

21. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Thanks I think the toning is what drew me to the coin originally, yours is a beauty. I like how the issue struck was by a barbarian ruler !

Draft saved Draft deleted