Beautiful Byzantines

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

More than I would pay, or my wife would let me. Actually, SHE persuaded me to buy the first one in 1992!

BenSi, Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Sear 2494; Lianta 832; Labarum 24940

upload_2020-9-20_18-15-0.png

4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A well-dressed Phocas:
    Phocas.jpg
    Phocas. 602-610 AD. Æ 20 Nummi (25mm). Constantinople mint. 5th officina. Struck 603-610 AD. Obv: DN FOCA PERP AV(G), crowned bust facing, wearing consular robes, holding mappa and cross. Rev: Large XX; above, star; CONЄ in exergue. DOC II 37c; SB 644.

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

And a Tiberius II Constantine:
    TiberiusIIConst.jpg
    Tiberius II Constantine. 578-582 AD. Æ Nummi – Follis (29 mm). Constantinople mint, 4th officina. Dated RY 4. Obv: Crowned facing bust, wearing consular robes, holding mappa and eagle-tipped scepter with cross. Rev: Large m; cross above, A/N/N/O on left, II/II on right. CONΔ in exergue. SB 430.

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here's my latest photo effort Byzantine-wise.

This is a very crude follis of what I think is of Heraclius. The year appears to be year 8.

I've searched online for a match, but without success. The coins of Heraclius show him with a long beard. This coin has him, it seems, with a more clipped version. Additionally, he is wearing pants and sporting what looks like an inverted delta on his chest. All he needs is a cape and a telephone booth to become the flying cape crusader.

Can anyone help ID this coin?

Thanks

6.8 grams
    25.5 mm, 1 h.

D-Camera  Heraclius follis, 6.8 grams, Roma, 9-23-20.jpg

BenSi, paschka, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Correction: on post 224 above, the indicated date should be RY 8 and on the right it should be: Ч/II. The reference should be SBCV 429.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS, robinjojo and Quant.Geek like this.
  8. Quant.Geek

Its Constans II, similar to the one below. Its one of the messiest byzantine coins ever produced due to multiple overstrikes. Mine is above par for what is typically found. Yours is actually nice in comparison to others...

Byzantine Empire: Constans II (641-668) Æ Follis, Constantinople, RY2 (Sear 1000; DOC 63; MIBE 162a)

Obv: Constantine II, beardless, standing facing, wearing crown topped with cross and chlamys, holding long cross and globus cruciger
    Rev: Large m; A/N/A to left, N/Є/O/ς to right; A II in exergue

[​IMG]

Here is one that was struck, flipped over and struck again...

Byzantine Empire: Constans II (641-668) Æ Follis, Constantinople, RY14 (Sear 1007; DOC 72; MIBE 170b) Obv: ЄNTϪT ONIKA; Constans standing, facing, bearded, wearing chlamys and crown with cross; In right hand, long cross, in left, globus cruciger
    Rev: Large M; above cross or star, beneath Λ?, to left, A/N/A, to right, N/Є/O/ς; in exergue, XIIII
    Dim: 20 mm, 3.12 g

[​IMG]

Valentinian, BenSi, catadc and 4 others like this.
  9. robinjojo

Thank you. These are really nice examples.

+VGO.DVCKS and Quant.Geek like this.
  10. robinjojo

Thanks.

I have difficulty, especially with a very crude coin such as this one, to distinguish the Greek 6 and Greek 7. Would you say the regnal year is 9 instead of 8?

Thanks again.

11. robinjojo

Speaking of multiple strikes, here's a follis of Heraclius, Constantinople, year 3, struck twice, with a 90 degree die shift. Additionally it appears to be struck over an earlier follis, probably belonging to Phocas.

D-Camera Phocas Follis, double struck, Roma,, 6-24-20.jpg

BenSi, Edessa, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  12. Quant.Geek

The following are the Thessalonica pre-reform coinage of Alexius I Comnenus. Majority of Alexius I's coinage are interesting, but very complicated between the pre- and post-reform coinage. Its a series I would love to complete in the future, if possible...

Byzantine Empire: Alexius I Comnenus (1081-1118) Æ Follis, Thessalonica (Sear 1909; DOC 18)

Obv: MP - ΘV in field; Facing bust of Virgin Mary nimbate, wearing tunic and maphorion; holds beardless, nimbate head of Christ on breast
    Rev: +ΛΛЄΞI ΔЄCΠΟTTШK; Full-length figure of Alexius wearing stemma, divitision, collar-piece, and jeweled loros of simplified type; holds in right hand labarum on long shaft, and in left, globus cruciger

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Alexius I Comnenus (1081-1118) Æ Follis, Thessalonica (Sear 1911; DOC 19)

Obv: Cross potent set on two steps; pellet at each termination of arm
    Rev: CЄP CVN/ЄPΓЄI BA/CIΛЄI AΛ/ЄZIШ in five lines

[​IMG]

Valentinian, BenSi, catadc and 3 others like this.
  13. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Here's one of my favourite Byzantine overstrikes. Originally a follis minted in Thessaloniki and counterstamped in Sicily. You can see how it was also clipped to reduce the weight to its new standard.

Heraclius & Heraclius Constantine
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    631 A.D., Syracuse Mint, null Officina
    6.76g, 25.5mm, 6H

Obverse: -,
    Crowned and draped facing busts of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine; cross between; all within circular punch

Reverse: -,
    SCLs within circular punch

Exergue: -

Provenance: Ex. Frank S. Robinson Auction 107, Lot 415

Reference: SBCV 883

BenSi, Valentinian, PeteB and 4 others like this.
  14. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I believe Ч stands for 6, thus year 8. My symbol may be incorrect, but it is the closest I can get to the "6" symbol.
    At this link, CNG indicates the symbol on my coin is a "6."
    https://tinyurl.com/y4wmo3jw

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I found the below on line and I see your point
    upload_2020-9-23_17-58-49.png
    However, even Sear does not include this number. Instead, it shows "ς" for the number 6 as above (and as in the CNG description text) and ςi (without the dot over the i for number 7.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. Quant.Geek

Another coin that I bought months ago. Anyone have any ideas on the attribution?

960232_1577438356.jpg

17. Quant.Geek

It turns out its a Half Follis of Leonitus that got overstruck...

Byzantine Empire: Leontius (695-698) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1335; DOC III.9; MIB III.33)

Obv: Crowned facing bust of Leontius, holding globus cruciger; cross to right
    Rev: Large K; cross above, A/N/NO and A across fields, B below

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  18. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Ooh! That's a great find Quant!

Quant.Geek likes this.
  19. Quant.Geek

I had an inkling it was Leonitus when I bought the coin, but wasn't sure. The long cross on the globus cruciger threw me off a bit. Seems earlier issues of his half follis have a longer cross. Now I got to see what the undertype is!

+VGO.DVCKS and Caesar_Augustus like this.
  20. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

A group of my favorite 12th century trachea. zz.jpg

21. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

A follaro of John VIII, pretty much how I got it (scratch, encrustations). Not so many of these out there.
    Sear 2568; 15 mm; 0.78 gr
    2568.png

Draft saved Draft deleted