Beat-up little coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

MA.jpg

My Judaean, Mattathias Antigonus bronze is large compared to most Judaean coins. It’s approximately 25mm which is slightly larger than a U.S. quarter.

I don’t know what it is about these beat-up, weathered, and poorly struck Judaean coins that fascinates me so much. Of course there’s the Bible connection and yes that’s what initially interested me. It’s more than that however. I browse David Hendin’s book and Ya’akov Meshorer’s Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum Part 6 like a kid looking through a toy catalog. I use those books as shopping guides. Then I go to Vcoins and browse for the beat-up, weathered, and poorly struck little coins that only an adoptive father can love.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Cool coins, Deacon ....

Curious though? => I get the double cornucopia ... but what is the other side? (is that the classic two-portraits? ... it doesn't look like it)

... thanks (oh, and sorry for my coin-ignorance) ... you'll get used to it, eventually!

;)

Smojo and Deacon Ray like this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Hi Steve,

The following is from the dealer's website describing the reverse side:

Wreath of ivy leaves surrounded by Greek inscription ACIɅEΩΣ ANT[IΓONOY] (of king Antigonus)

I know that it's almost impossible to make that out from this coin but here's another of the same type. I ordered this one and it's in the mail.

fTx8Qw3M6Qr2p7qFHfq5t4KYbG2b9n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    dlhill132, Ajax, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks, Deacon ... you rock

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I love my beat up little Nabataeans, but they are a generally a step above Judaeans when it comes to minting quality. I really wish the ancient Judaeans had cared a bit more about their coins. They had plenty of beautiful art and architecture, but evidently coins were viewed more as utilitarian objects than objects of artistic expression.

But, I do know where you're coming from Ray - the history of the Levant is absolutely fascinating, and the coins are a tangible connection to it.

Deacon Ray, Ajax and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

JA just expressed my thoughts far better than I could have:shame::)

Ajax likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is as small and inconsequential as yours is large but both show what I considered to be an interesting technical situation or two.
    ju0150bb2548.jpg
    The flans were cast in a two part mold that was not aligned perfectly so there is a ledge around the edge. This is not rare for this reign but most others seem to have been cast in an openface mold that does not make this offset. Not all these are this off center but I wanted the odd flan for my technical collection. This one was bought from David Hendin while he was still selling coins. Those into the subject may enjoy his blog:
    http://davidhendin.blogspot.com/

As I understand it (I do not read Paleo-Hebrew!) it was considered necessary to cut some of the legend on this coin retrograde to avoid a sacrilege involving the name of God. I do not have details on this story but would appreciate it if someone has it (perhaps explained in one of the books???).

9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

For a time Judean coinage had no portraits or images of men, no graven images thus Christianity.
    I don't recall the year they started putting portraits on their coins. I'm sure somebody here does though.
    You probably already knew that

stevex6 likes this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Thanks, Doug,
    Yes, the dealer description mentions an irregular 2 part flan. Your description makes more sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted