Bean Wars - CAC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by robec, Oct 28, 2014.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

Some don't like little stickers adorning their slabs, but I do like the opinion of JA and those little green beans.
    I just sent a small group of 10 coin to CAC last week. I threw a couple it that I knew were marginal and wasn't too upset when the results came in. Six of ten passed with one being a real surprise.

This coin was originally NGC MS65BN. Later I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS where it came back MS64BN. The confusing part of this is CAC gave the NCG MS65BN coin a green bean, yet the same coin in a PCGS MS64BN slab didn't pass the bean test.

I understand this is a small sampling, but ............

Bean at MS65

[​IMG]

No Bean at MS64

[​IMG]

torontokuba and geekpryde like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

cac stickers suck. why waste money on them ? soon they'll be a sticker after the cac sticker when will it end ? waste of money period. :blackalien:

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Bob, that's a beautiful coin regardless of JA's blessing (or not). The lack of a bean at one grade lower is very curious indeed. Guess this goes to show the "almighty" JA isn't as infallible as everyone likes to think he is.

Again though, take away message -- who cares what JA says, that's a sexy coin! :)

5. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Great looking coin. Insanity in terms of the CAC beans.

medoraman, torontokuba and robec like this.
  6. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

peel it off the old slab n smack 'er on the new one. You're welcome :)

7. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Somebody's making money off the CAC stickers...and it ain't the people paying for the CAC stickers...;)

spirityoda, torontokuba and robec like this.
  8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Great coin, great photos. Very interesting on the CAC results. Other tests have been done, and I have read about them on another forum which is private, but some of you may be members. (It's CAC-centric). Results are usually consistent, even over several re-submissions, but I have heard of a very few situations like the OP's.

I love CAC, as many of you probably know. That doesn't mean I will try an refute the hard facts of @robec post. He certainly is a trustworthy source in my book!

Data points like this help me, and I will keep it in mind. It doesn't dissuade me from being a CAC fanboy, as my collection is superior than it otherwise would be. JA knows more about coins than I do, and his seal means something to me. For others here, you may not need or want his approval, or maybe even think it's meaningless. In other words, you are ambivalent towards CAC. I understand those points of view.

However, I don't understand the belligerent CAC haters. But let's not derail the OP's thread with that well-worn topic. ;)

p.s. I have another round of 16 or so coins going into CAC in early Nov. A single repeat coin Ill post more about later, as I already planned to do my own test with a very nice coin, sold by a widely respected dealer who normally gets >90% CAC results.

mark_h and robec like this.
  9. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Shows the true value of a subjective opinion.:happy: I'm glad I collect coins and not slabs or stickers. It makes hobby life a heck of a lot easier, with nothing to trivialize it, by glorifying it or undermining it with that subjective opinion. I guess we can safely say, that double-dipping, triple-dipping or quadruple-dipping in subjective opinions, can bring you down a grade and sticker.:hilarious::greedy::eggface:

robec and green18 like this.
  10. torontokuba

I have a feeling this JA you speak of likes to play games and can be very vindictive.;) First he gives his blessing, then he takes it away. He's playing a higher power in the coin realm.:shame: Who knows, maybe he has his own personal agenda, preference, bias when it comes to PCGS. This instance sure looks like a black eye for the sticker king.:blackeye:

robec likes this.
  11. torontokuba

Glad to hear it. Results like these undermine many of your topic related posts on the forum. Hope this is just an isolated incident, or else the whole house of cards might tumble one day.

robec likes this.
  12. robec

robec Junior Member

I'm not sure about being vindictive. John Albanese started both PCGS, NGC and now CAC.

13. torontokuba

Hence the wink at the end of my sentence.

robec likes this.
  14. robec

robec Junior Member

I'm a little slow.:cyclops:

15. torontokuba

Isn't that the main reason why we even have CAC? (joke :D;))

spirityoda, robec and Savy like this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Now send that Lincoln to ANACS for a JA&co independent opinion ;-)

robec and rzage like this.
  17. robec

robec Junior Member

That coin is done traveling for awhile.

18. torontokuba

I never fully trust a coin surface, until ICG gets a look at it.:woot: I'm telling you, the new standard in graded coins will be a photo of a raw coin, next to four cracked open slabs and two peeled off holograms, then and only then it will be deemed safe to purchase at 600% mark up, by some.:greedy: The coin will get an average grade of all the subjective opinions it encountered. The buyer gets a coin history in plastic and stickers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful cent . Does John A. do the actual approvals . In your case whoever regraded it got it wrong and CAC definitely got it wrong . But they are human and mistakes will be made . Very interesting though . I'd send CAC a letter asking why it stickered in a 65 slab but not a 64 .

robec likes this.
  20. torontokuba

That's sort of like picking at a scab, isn't it? What if you get banned from future submissions as a result? I hope questioning CAC directly does not result in the same defensive response we get when we question CAC customers on the forum.

rzage and robec like this.
  21. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Do you think it would do any good, resubmitting the coin, along with photos of the coin in the NGC holder with sticker and in the PCGS holder, showing it is indeed the same coin, and if it still doesn't receive a sticker, at least an explanation of why it did not?

robec likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted