Bavaria 5 Mark KM-896

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FredJB, Dec 18, 2014.

1. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Bavaria 5 Mark KM-896
    This Bavarian 5 mark 1876 D KM-896 (was KM 502) has mad king Ludwig II on the obverse and my favorite version of the Imperial Eagle on the reverse. Ludwig was unstable from the start of his reign and sank deeper as time went on. In 1886 he drowned (or was drowned) in Lake Starnberg during an escape attempt while being committed.
    Even though this coin is an EF with great design details it could bring a tear to many eyes due to it’s unnatural grey color. Under magnification it can be seen that some ding bat lightly tooled the fields as was fashionable long ago, and then it looks like someone worked it over with steel wool to give it a more even appearance. Who ever did this made old king Ludwig look sane in comparison.

Attached Files:

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

But I wonder whether that eagle was appreciated much in Bavaria. ;) It sure is a symbol of Prussian dominance, with the large Prussian eagle in the center of the German eagle. That was changed in the 1890 eagle - still the same elements, but the size proportions were modified ...

Christian

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

great looking coin. I really enjoy looking at the eagle side.

5. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Thanks Christian and spirit, I'm sure the Bavarians were able to ignore it if they even noticed.

Draft saved Draft deleted