Battle of Ayacucho (,,..and other cool designs at melt)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by princeofwaldo, Feb 8, 2019.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

If ever there was a battle that marked the final nail in the coffin of the Spanish Empire, the defeat at the Battle of Ayacucho would have to be it. Great design, reasonably available, and if you're patient obtainable at melt even when graded.

Post your favorite design of a gold commemorative typically available at melt or very close to it(!)

per1976a.JPG per1976b.JPG per1976e.JPG per1976f.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Cool coins !!

princeofwaldo likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull coins!

princeofwaldo likes this.
  5. princeofwaldo

Okay, here's another one. This one from Uruguay. Used to be a kind of tough coin, then an enormous hoard hit the market about 20 years ago and they now sell for ever so slightly more than melt. Terrific design by Bazor, same guy who did the French 100 Francs during the mid-1930s. In an ANACS little white holder. Even with the hoard, still a zillion times more scarce than a French 20 Francs Rooster or common date Sovereign, yet priced about the same.

uru1930a (2).jpg uru1930b (2).jpg

6. princeofwaldo

A bit of a condition rarity even in MS61, these usually show-up in AU55 or there abouts, and then priced at melt in such condition. I bought this one raw years ago and eventually got it graded. Kind of a waste of a grade submission looking back on it now. But then I probably thought it was an MS63 or I wouldn't have sent it in.

arg1883a.jpg arg1883b.jpg

7. princeofwaldo

Another el-cheapo slabbed gold coin from the 19th century. Don't let the grade fool you, these are quite common raw in mint state and sell for spot plus a tiny premium.

From the early days of cyanide heap leaching. For several years enormous mintages from gold obtained by reprocessing old spent ore using this new process.

aus1897a.jpg aus1897b.jpg

8. panzerman

Beautifull examples!

9. panzerman

Here is a 8 Escudos from Bolivia, bought it as an "unsold" lot. And a MS 8 Escudos Peru 1809-JA Lima Mint Fernando VII "imaginary bust" lf (13).jpg lf (14).jpg 4d3f156228ab3eae63dfb1d3d7a6dd78.jpg a4b22bd2fc76a86fa9cb41e373703b64 (2).jpg

10. princeofwaldo

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

Quadruple I would estimate, well worth it though.:) I am really happy to have both in my collection. I have 16 AV 8 Escudo pieces from Colonial Mints.

John

12. princeofwaldo

Here's a better picture of your imaginary bust 8 Escudos from when it appeared at auction in London about 5 years ago:

1809.jpg

Siberian Man and panzerman like this.
  13. panzerman

Thanks. I am not the best at photographing coins.
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted