Batch of World coins from the 1800s

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Collect89, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Today I picked-up these neat World coins from my friend the old time collector. The lot was not very expensive but it sure is interesting. They are all from the 1800s. Some of the small coins have incredibly fine details in their designs. As you can see, the large copper coins from the Italian States and Brazil are the size of US silver dollars. I will take close up photos & post information for each coin.

[​IMG]

Very best regards,
    Collect89

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

some nice ones there

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Cool, what is the toned one about? I love the French one, what year is that one? Good score, way to go! :thumb:

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice potpourri you have there.
    The Bolivian coin (4 sueldos?) seems to be in quite good conditions. These are usually weakly struck, particularly the bust.

6. Very nice! I would have been very happy to add pretty much all of them to my collection.

What's with the counterstamp? IS that even a counterstamp?

7. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

VEry intresting :)
    that small colombian coin has a lot of details,it looks like AU.
    What's that coin Constitution Bolivar..

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Billy Kingsley,
    I now have photos of all the coins. The two largest copper coins are the Italian States 10 Tornesi and the Brazil 80 Reis. These weigh 31 grams and 28.3 grams respectively. Can you imagine walking around with a pocket full of these? By comparison, the US silver dollar only weighs 26.73 grams.

[​IMG]

The 1825 Italian States is quite worn but it is my only example of the “Tornesi” monetary unit. There was a monetary reform a dozen years before this coin was minted. I believe that in 1825, one Tornesi = 6 Cavalli and 240 Tornesi = 120 Grana = 1 Piastre. This particular coin was used in the Italian States of Naples & Sicily. I don’t know much of the history of this area & coinage. If someone would like to chime-in, of course it would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

The Brazil 80 Reis is dated 1829 and it was originally valued at 80 Reis. It was revalued to 40 Reis and counterstamped (40 over 80 Reis). The Brazil government passed a law in 1835 that caused the 80 Reis to be officially counterstamped to the value of 40 Reis. The host 80 Reis coin is Krause 366.1 and with the counterstamp it is Krause 444.1

Very best regards,
    collect89

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Do you think the 4 Soles is VG?

Hello Eduard,

I hope you can tell me more about the Bolivia coin. It has an interesting lettered & reeded pattern on the edge. I measured the diameter with calipers & the coin is not exactly round. Were these coins struck without a collar & then given the lettered edge?
    [​IMG]
    Do you think it is VG?

[​IMG]

Very best regards,
    Collect89

10. Art

Art Numismatist?

Very nice coins. I especially like the 40/80 reis piece.

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yep, I think it is AU

Hello Hagop,

I think it is AU & I really like the color. Click the photo(s) to make them larger.
    [​IMG]

Very best regards,
    Collect89

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Fretboard,

The French coin has a neat design on both sides. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the coins I’ve seen of this design just don’t seem to wear very gracefully. This one looks pretty good in hand. (I’ll bet one of these in a red unc would look fantastic).
    [​IMG]

The toned coin is a Russian Rouble from 1878.
    [​IMG]

13. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Gorgeous lot you have there!

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These Brazil 10 & 20 Reis coins are not that large (size of a US nickel) but they have some really small details in their designs. If I did it right, you should be able to see the details if you click the photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Last (photos) but not least

These last two photos depict Austria Kreuzer coins. I have seen many of the 1885 1-Kreuzer coins for sale. It is something like a $2 or $3 coin. This 1851 Kreuzer has a lot of underlying red color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Those are some great looking coins, I particularily like the Colombian 10 centavos.

I think this coin was produced in a similar manner to those in late colonial times in Bolivia. The planchets were impressed first with the edge device on a machine that rolled the edge of the blank along two parallel, patterned bars. Then it was stuck up on a screw press for the obverse/reverse. The process sometimes resulted in out-of-round coins. So, yes, you could say they were struck without a collar.

17. MissSasha

MissSasha Junior Member

Awesome 1878 Russian rouble, those don't show up too often in such great shape, as far as I have seen!

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Looks like a $35 to $40 coin

Hello MissSasha,

IMO the Rouble's grade is on the higher end of the VF scale. I don’t have any experience grading the Rouble. However, I was once taught to “morph” an unknown coin into a series that I know better. In this case, I morphed the coin into a Morgan dollar & asked myself what grade it would be. I then morphed it into a V-nickel & asked myself the same question. I see < 10% luster & see wear on more than just the high points. That points me to only circulated grades. I see the feather tips are worn. I also see some nice details left in all the leaves and ribbons. There are no major details missing. It has been used to buy stuff and has a nice amount of character. I give it a VF35. On a sunny day, someone might grade it an EF40.

The Krause catalog lists it at $30 in VF and $55 in EF. The 1878 has the highest mintage of the entire series so it is a common date, turn of the century coin.

Looks like a $35 to $40 coin

Very best regards,
    Collect89

P.S. When you were at CoinFest, did you visit Allen Berman’s table? www.bermania.com He had a lot of world material. I bought a 1797 Great Britain 2 pence from Allen but ended up handing it to PCGS before I left the show. I’ll post photos when I get it back from PCGS.

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Very nice, yes I really love French coins as well as a bunch others but that French coin is ssooooooo beautiful on both sides. Yeah it's killer! :thumb:

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I hate French coins, but that one that you have is a beauty!!! Nice grab.

21. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Great lot you have! Many excellent pieces :)

Draft saved Draft deleted