Basic Large Cent Designs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lugia, May 20, 2011.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i wanted to post the most basic designs using what ive amassed over my 2 years of getting into the hobby again. before i post anything else i dont have a chain cent because they just cost too much even in the worst of shape.

#1 Flowing Hair Cent, Wreath Reverse. Designed by Adam Eckfeldt. Minted in 1793.
    #2 Liberty Cap Cent. Designed by Robert Scot. Minted from 1793 to 1796.
    #3 & 4 Draped Bust Cent. Designed by Robert Scot. Minted from 1796 to 1807.
    #5 Classic Head Cent. Designed by John Reich. Minted from 1808 to 1814.
    #6 Matron Head Cent. Designed by Robert Scot. Minted from 1816 to 1835.
    #7 Modified Matron Head Cent. Designed by Robert Scot & modified by William Kneass & Christian Gobrecht. Minted from 1836 to 1839.
    #8 Braided Hair Cent. Designed by Christian Gobrecht. Minted from 1840 to 1857.

some obverse designs did use the reverse dies of other dates like #3 has a reverse of 94' but this mostly applies to the Liberty Cap and Draped Bust.

if theres anything you guys think im missing thats vital information please add it. i made all new images so i hope they came out well for this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Great pics. Almost makes me want to put together a nice large cent collection...almost. Still slightly intimidated by all the head varieties.

4. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

I love the die crack on the 1818 coin. How many more do you reckon it struck before the whole edge fell off?

5. Lugia

it is tough. the classic head is the easiest to get all dates of since theres only 6 but they get really expensive in any grade above F.

the 1818 is a N 10 R 1 so it must of lasted a while that way.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Nice examples. I'm missing a wreath cent in my type set....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Lugia

those are some great examples lead. i cant take my eye off that 1820. is it proof?

8. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Nice job, Lugia. Great coins. I love large cents. My set is almost entirely raw (I don't have the nerve to crack some) and there's something very special about holding these big, weighty things. I still need four or five to complete the Dansco.

Get yourself a chain cent, even if it's well worn. I think it is a pretty safe expenditure. Leadfoot's chain cent is a winner! I'll bet that cost a pretty penny. Very nice!
    Lance.

9. Leadfoot

There are no proof large cents from 1820, and my coin is not one either (it's a fairly typical Randall Hoard coin, as is Lugia's 1818). :) Thanks for the kind words.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are approximately 10 proof 1820 large cents known.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice group of large cents all around.

12. Leadfoot

:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted