Basement slabbed toned Ike - Should I crack?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by YoloBagels, Sep 26, 2019.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    So about a month ago I won this toned (clad) 1972 Ike dollar at auction. It is heavily toned with a rainbow around the edge and blueberry colored in the middle.

Anyways the thing is in one of those cheap basement slab holders. Do you think I should crack and resub to NGC or PCGS?

So I tried to get a good photo of it but my phone just does not want to see the colors I see in person.

Thanks for any response. -Chris

ikey.jpg
    ikereversas.jpg

Cheech9712 and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Are you planning to sell? If so, I'd say you'll probably end up burying yourself in slabbing fees. If not, why bother sending it in at all? So, I guess my answer is "no" either way.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the photo but I am skeptical it is brilliant uncirculated.

5. zachary ethington

zachary ethington New Member

I can’t tell from the picture, but if it’s a type two, and you’re looking to sell it I’d do it, if it’s type one or three I’d say no.

Cheech9712 and I_like_Morgans like this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's purdy but I wouldn't waste the money sending it in. Leave it where it is.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I'd crack it and put it in a Dansco album.

8. mullah

mullah Member

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd leave as is for now. You can always revisit this at a later date. This is a great coin for a Dansco album!

Two Dogs and Paul M. like this.
  10. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for tour responses. I was just wondering what your thoughts were and I think I'll crack it out and put in my dansco for now. Who knows, maybe I can start a toned type set.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice idea.

12. robec

robec Junior Member

You probably don't need to crack it. It probably just snaps together.

13. Paul M.

You're in for a long, but fun ride, if you do. :)

Two Dogs likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Unless it was glued together, there's a notch on the seam on one side near the top. You should be able to pry it open there with a screwdriver or your thumbnail. Not worth having graded, which is why it's in the holder it's in.

Two Dogs likes this.
  15. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

What type is it? I can’t tell from the photo. I also would place it in a Dansco. I currently have the beginnings of a toned Dansco set. I want just a few more before I get a new album, though.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In that holder, it is already a raw coin.

17. Paul M.

Theoretically, it could be sonically sealed... but I suppose a "grading" company that's going to use Coin World slabs and put a fancy label in them, with a holo sticker that says "Authentic" probably doesn't have a sonic welder. :)

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I don't think the CW slabs can be sealed that way. The reverse shell press-fits into the obverse one. I go through several hundred of these each year.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Another thought, pop it open, make up your own label on a computer and reseal it.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Paul M.

Oh, hmm, really. I didn't know that. I've never handled one of those holders. Good to know.

That's a great idea. Keep the holo sticker on the back, too. :)

21. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I think it's fine as is. Not worth putting $ into this.
    It's a good looking low value coin. I'm not sure that it's either "Brilliant, or UNC" though.

Draft saved Draft deleted