Barr notes - asking for a friend

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joe Campbell, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I’m helping a friend at work sell an inherited collection. Mostly 90%, nothing really outside of my area of expertise.

Other than the coins though there are 47 Barr notes in poorer circulated condition. I don’t think they’re worth much or anything maybe but looking for thoughts on what else I should be considering. Right now there are no star notes, fancy serial numbers or high grade notes.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Barr notes are cool, have several in uncirculated condition, however not much
    of a premium I am afraid, especially in the condition your describing.

4. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Worth face value if they're very circulated, and not star notes. People hoarded them because they thought they would be rare and valuable, but now, quite the opposite is true.

A few are on Ebay now for $1.99+ $0.65 shipping= $2.64

$2.64 -$0.55 (basic postage) -$0.15 (fees) -$1 (face value)= $0.94 profit
    ~In the end: not worth it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My LCS sells circulated Barr Notes for $1.50 each.

6. cashhound

cashhound Well-Known Member

This Star Barr (640k) is probably worth a little more. Condition does hold it back somewhat (found in the wild).

Attached Files:

Legomaster1 and NOS like this.
  7. mpcusa

Though the condition is not terrible, and even though its a star, it wouldn't qualify
    for a premium, as condition is the number one thing people look at, and for this note to bring anything extra it would have to be uncirculated.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  8. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

@Joe Campbell If you want to list the notes on Ebay, have a shot. But in terms of a local dealer, it might be hard to find someone who will buy them. When I was young, I brought three Barr notes in fair condition to a coin shop- the dealer told me to go spend them. Considering I found them in a stack of ones, it wasn't much of a loss, but I doubt that a decade later they'd be worth anything more than face unless they're in crisp condition.

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Many dealers and collectors speculated by hoarding packs of 1963B $1 FRNs in hopes of increased value. Hundreds of millions of the notes were printed. Because of this, circulated notes have little value over face value. Uncirculated notes and replacement notes sell for the average of the other series notes of this period. Uncirculated Barr replacement notes fetch $15-$30 each. Set of 4 1963B star notes.

51E261D8-5A80-4EDF-A6AE-C4BC246E124B.jpeg 6447DAB4-2BBA-4845-95EB-7522F4DE69DD.jpeg 8AE30E53-82C8-44C2-BCA6-64CCFA8A23A8.jpeg E4B4D5FD-AB0C-4946-8309-D9EB231B2594.jpeg

NOS, Legomaster1 and midas1 like this.
  10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

The irony is notes from the subsequent 1969x series are considerably less common (particularly Series 1969A and 1969C). Signatures changed rapidly in the early 1970's but lacked the same notoriety and subsequently weren't saved nearly to the extent of Barr notes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

They kept printing Barr notes long after he was gone as Treasury Secretary. At first these were thought to be uncommon but they really aren't. They're worth a small premium but not much unless you have a star note.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like the Barr notes. 458,880,000 were printed.
    I wonder how many survive today. They were saved.

13. mpcusa

Many, as they were hoarded by collectors thinking they were going to be worth
    something later on, boy did they get that one wrong !!

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

At one time I had over 200 barr * notes ....thinking yup going to be worth something.....well they were spent them on wine women and song best investment ever.....as a 20 year old.

mpcusa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted