Bargains in local coin shop--blazing and frosty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

As some of you folks know, I am selling my toned coins, so as to start over with a new collection of "White Morgans," and more importantly, to give my son and will-be daughter- in- law a good wedding present. There have been a few extremely successful auctions and will be at least two more. At any rate, I am still collecting Morgans, only different focus--these will be high grade gem common dates. (I have not sold any of the 13CC dates, and have my 5 "safe deposit" box ones). Just the other day, I walked into one of my local coin shops, where I know the owner well. I looked in the Morgan display case, and this one JUMPED out at me. Having just sold a beautifully toned MS 64 1881s, and a MS 63 PL 1881s, it was time for this coin--it just called my name. It became a bargain, when I made the owner an offer 40 dollars under greysheet ask price and he took it. I guess I saved him the eBay fees in doing so. Love the coin, in spite of its commonness, as it is like Frosty the Snowman (looks like it was in a refrigerator for a week), and has really nice mirrors.

81s.jpg 81srev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

David, I know how it feels when you have to decide to give up some of the coins that took years to assemble. I assume that you went through the same pangs of regret. The blast white 81-S below had been one of my favorites.

Chris

11992[1].jpg

11993[1].jpg

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice grab Dave.........:)

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good one, looks cameo from here.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Love me some 81s's. Don't have a pl or dmpl yet though. That's a doozy dude! Closest pl 81s I have is a monster blue obverse toner with PL obverse under the monster color but the rev dosent quite make PL so it didn't get the designation

Morgandude11 likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Holy Toledo, 'dude. That coin is simply outstanding. It couldn't have been in the shop for long. Off the market for good, I imagine. :)

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Thanks folks. It is pretty close to DMPL--has a fair amount of cameo, but given that it is a more recent slabbing, it would not make DMPL designation. I think graded appropriately--a few less striations and it would have been a 66, but am very happy with it. Looks even better in hand, as there is no way a photograph catches that frostiness and the reflectivity.

9. ChangeinHistory

ChangeinHistory Active Member

It's nice when a coin finds you, congrats!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice one. I had a similar 65 pl I sold last year. Yours has more frost tho. Nice grab

Morgandude11 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice find!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Nice one. I know what you mean when a coin jumps out of the case. Those are the only coins I buy these days. And those coins are few and dar between.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. Morgandude11

It definitely jumped out of the case, and bit me on the rear end. It made an immediate connection with me. Those are the kind of coins that one MUST buy. :)

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Now that is how the early S mint Morgans are supposed to look. Well played!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Nice pick-up. I'd love to see that one in hand.

ikes4ever likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It's far more PL than many in old DMPL/DPL holders. Nice!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

I agree. it is close to DMPL by today's standards--not there, but close. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted