Bargains from the past

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Apr 18, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

ad from 1957

Quarter Eagles $9; Half Eagles $12.50!
    Silver dollars polished with quicksilver [mercury] $1.25!

coin ad.JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Makes me want to cry

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Silver Dollar hand shined with Quick Silver (Mercury)

712 and swamp yankee like this.
  5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Why? Were you around at that time?

Keep in mind those prices were from almost 60 years ago.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

No but converting dollar values from 1957 to now puts those quarter Eagles at $72 and half Eagles at $100.

7. capitalcoinman

capitalcoinman New Member

Always interesting to see those old ads and prices.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The 3rd one from the top is interesting. B. Max Mehl is a relative of Mark Feld who is a former NGC grader, former dealer and now works for Heritage.

Chris

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Back before mercury was toxic I shined up plenty of dimes and mostly quarters with it. If my memory is correct, they only stayed shiny for a while and then turned dull.

For those inclined to try it, you can also use Mercuric Nitrate, which is more toxic than straight mercury but takes a two minute or so dip to work. And it works well on copper coins.

dwhiz likes this.
  10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Wonder what condition that 1893cc Morgan would have been @ $15 in those days...

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Compare it with a complete year at a state college; dorm room, meal ticket, and tuition fees....$300-400 ( silver based money). Today ?

12. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Remember though, that the average annual income was $3,641.72 in 1957.

13. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I remember doing that, too! The mercury clung onto the silver very aggressively - didn't need much coaxing at all. And yes, within a week or two, it was dull light greenish grey.

14. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

I wonder if the guy in the first ad ever got his nickel?

micbraun and silentnviolent like this.
  15. Endeavor

I know right. He was offering 50 dollars. I wonder what it's value was at that time.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm guessing that it was Gem BU. My 1960 Blue Book lists a price of $7.50 for UNC.

Chris

17. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

I believe the buyer in the first ad was also Mehl. I recall reading stories that he had a buy price of $50 for them back then.
    Cool old ads!
    And speaking of 1913 nickels, I had the privilege (trembling hands!) of holding and taking pictures of one of the 1913 nickels last year at the FUN show, and also seeing a second one there. Also held and shot pics of the Brasher doubloon, 1927-D $20, and 1893-S $1 in I think MS-64. $10,000,000 in 4 coins in my hands in a few minutes. Oh my.

paddyman98, Endeavor and Paul M. like this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Melt value of a quarter eagle is around $145 today. I know it's not really a meaningful comparison because the US didn't fully go off the gold standard until the mid 70's, but it's a fun point of comparison.

19. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I was 6yo. then and started a penny folder Whitman's. Never pursued it as a hobby like I should have and am sorry now! Have taken it up again now and am finding a few nice pieces out West here....

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Talking to an older coin dealer who says he remembers in 1955 getting two pennies in change and noticing they looked different (doubled die) but thinking they weren't worth much, didn't try and get the rest of the roll from the cashier and didn't save the pennies...sometimes forgetfulness is golden!

Endeavor likes this.
  21. Endeavor

Can you imagine having a whole roll of 1955 DD :woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted