Bargain Over Beauty

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Some of these scare me depending on who is selling through eBay. I buy through eBay but am becoming more careful when it come to the dealer.

I was recently criticized here for inappropriate pointing out of errors so I tried this by PM. I guess you did not agree with my question of the reverse type. I believe this one is Felicitas. Do we have anyone with expertise in Pupienus?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is my example of the OP coin. I got it on eBay in 2013.

VespasianIVDAEACAPTAas1394.jpg
    Vespasian, AD 69-79.
    28-26 mm. An as. 7.92 grams.
    IVDAEAD CAPTA
    COS VIII PP dates it to 77-78.
    Mint of Lyon (Lugdunum).
    RIC 2.1 1233, page 147.

I paid almost exactly what David paid and thought it was a bargain.

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Actually, I was so embarrassed about my denomination blunder that I overlooked the second part of your PM. I agree with you that the reverse figure is Felicitas.

BTW, I don't mind when someone points out a mistake that I made. (Although I do get irritated when my elementary students start keeping score.) PM or regular post is fine with me.

Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A great piece @David Atherton . Congrats on adding another winner to that fabulous collection of yours.

David Atherton likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

A great pickup David. Sadly, as you mentioned, the Judaea Capta bronzes have two common problems, tooled and extremely expensive and often both at the same time.

I'll take the honest wear and reasonable price any day! Here's on of my favorites.

image.png
    Titus as Caesar, AE Sestertius Rome mint. Struck AD 72 O:Titus, laureate head right. T CAES VESPASIAN IMP PON TR POT COS II R: IVDAEA CAPTA; S C in exerge, Vespasian standing in military dress, holding spear and parazonium to left of palm-tree, foot on helmet; mourning Jewess seated right. RIC 422, Hendin 1523, Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection Gemini X lot 811.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A very respectable example of the type, with the honest wear of antiquity. I would take your coin over a thousand tooled examples.

8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A better bargain than mine for sure!

9. David Atherton

I can never understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for an 'improved' coin. I would rather pay bargain basement prices for an honest one.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's a Flavian I wouldn't have been able afford if it was a beauty.

[​IMG]

This think feels great in hand, I also fondle this coin frequently.

[​IMG]

11. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

This was not chosen for its beauty. I have a JC denarius with LII and this coin has MA’s age on it, XLI. I don’t think there are other examples like these. Most of the quinarii on CNG are pretty rough and also have banker’s marks so I’m content with this one for the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Triumvirs. Mark Antony. Early 42 BC. AR Quinarius (13mm, 1.80 g, 1h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Winged bust of Victory right, with the likeness of Fulvia / Lion walking right; A - X[LI] (= 41, Antony’s age at time of issue) across field; ANTONI above, IMP in exergue. Crawford 489/6; Lyon 3; King 76; CRI 126; Sydenham 1163; RSC 3 (Fulvia).

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Antony types!

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

This one cost me $1
    026.JPG

14. David Atherton

Alegandron and randygeki like this.
  15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

This would be easy for me to do as 90+% of the coins in my collection were what I would call 'bargains' at the time I bought them. Often a coin ends up in my collection rather than my inventory as I got such an astoundingly good deal I know I would never see such a thing again at the price, so I just keep them. And to be honest many of my coins are somewhat plebeian as I have no interest in silver or gold, and I prefer a coin with some wear and 'character'. Also, if you have been collecting for at least a few years and have a bit of knowledge, everyone can pick up the amazing bargain from time to time.

I'll post a few, the first I got for about 75 cents back in the early 80's. A couple might appear completely boring, but are unusual for various reasons.

00027x0.jpg 00021x0.jpg 102.jpg julius.jpg 3820374.jpg x3909.jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 10.47.52 AM.png 00026x0.jpg 00024x0.jpg 00015x0.jpg

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@David Atherton , WELL DONE! Nice IVDAEA CAPTA!

Wow! Great deal, that's KILLER!!!

Well, ALL my coins are bargains to me! I try to set my price in my mind, bid accordingly. If I win, I am happy (yeah, sometimes costs may be high, but it was a coin I really wanted!)

I really enjoy this one as a great bargain... it is in an eclectic collecting niche I really enjoy, it is a fantastic provenance, it hammered WAY lower than my expectation and research, and it is 1 of 2 known (mine being the only privately held.)

upload_2018-11-9_14-36-25.png
    Etruria, Populonia
    2-½ Asses 3rd century BCE, AR 0.85g
    Obv: Radiate female head r.; behind, CII.
    Rev: Blank.
    Ref: EC 104 (misdescribed, Female head with an Attic helmet). Historia Numorum Italy 179.
    Comments: Of the highest rarity, apparently only the second specimen known.
    Dark patina and about very fine
    Ex: From the collection of E.E. Clain-Stefanelli.

Yeah, this is a SESTERTIUS!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  17. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What the heck happened to that Republican denarius?! Do you have a theory on that?

(Also, thanks for showing this fascinating selection of coins.)

18. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've posted it a few times before and always get questions about it. Its really quite fascinating. Here is my note on the coin:

C. Claudius Pulcher, 110 – 109 BC
    Silver Denarius, Rome Mint, 19mm, 2.12 grams

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right.
    Reverse: Victory in biga right, C PVLCHER in exergue.

References:
    Claudia 1 // Crawford 300/1 // Sydenham 569

Cost:
    $25

Provenance:
    Ebay, September 2008.

Notes:
    Cut in ancient times to form a pig ‘trotter’, or the leg and foot of the animal. Similar to an example in the British Museum, an issue of Augustus and Agrippa from Nemausus (see Registration Number 1867,0101.2246). It is presumed that this was accomplished to fulfill a donative or votive function.

Further to note and maybe add, the BM example appears to have been cast in one piece (well, the planchet cast that way and the coin struck) and does not appear to be modified. Below is a link and photo:

https://www.bmimages.com/preview.asp?image=00031833001

1.jpg

19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info – I learned something!

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I dunno. I love the explanation. However, I firmly believe that the Romans, with all their games, gladiatorial events, races, etc. sold a LOT of beer. I think they actually invented the bottle tops, and had to offer bottle top openers... :D

upload_2018-11-9_18-3-3.png
    upload_2018-11-9_18-4-40.png
    upload_2018-11-9_18-14-58.png

A coin version is pretty handy!!!
    upload_2018-11-9_18-3-40.png

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's really cool. I have long believed that the flans for these issues were cast in chamfered molds connected by runners (sprue). Mine shows a large flan chip where the sprue was broken off as well as some casting voids in the obverse:

Augustus and Agrippa Nemausus Crocodile A.jpg Augustus and Agrippina Nemausus edge.jpg Augustus and Agrippa Nemausus Crocodile Sulzer listing.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted