Barbie on the runway

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

If I was guessing I would say coin #2 had been dipped at one time...its sooo White...#1 has the nice toning that shows its been in a collection since more than likely day one....
    But I sure can't bid on it....I sure would like too but to $$$....but I have my eye on another GEM right now....just hope I win it!!!

Yes MS67 I think would be high but agree with you and GDJMSP...the coin in hand might look tons better.
    But then again I also think that the Grading Co's tend to overgrade the high grade key date coins by a bit...almost every key date I sent in for grading was overgraded IMO...and the coins that wern't keys were right on the dot.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Well, I bid a thousand dollars on it. If I win, I can turn it over for about 18k!

Really. That suprises me. I was thinking when we were talking about the 1890 - O Morgan which was graded at MS64, and I was like... NO WAY!

If the mint strikes from a specific coin is not good, the ***grading*** should just remain the same and higher grades just become scarer.

Does it really matter if the ear locks of a Morgan are flat because of the strike or ussage? Their still flat!

Ruben

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

5. Speedy

Your right....but I'm just posting facts....the Co. seem to overgrade sometimes on the Key dates....its just like if you own a business....if your best friend comes in and your Bro-in-law comes in at the same time you are going to take better care of your friend ;) J/K....now that 1897S is a GEM....I don't think any $1000 is going to come near to what it will go for....but let me know....remember...if you win it for $1000 why should someone else give you $18000...I mean its only worth what someone pays for it and you only gave $1000 ;)

Speedy

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I did better than that. I sold a morgan on ebay before I finished getting it in an auction and buying it from Heritage with a $400 spread. I made $400 without spending a nickle.

Now that is arbitrage.

Ruben

7. Speedy

Not really....you won it for $546.25 + S&H and BTW...they ship all packages no matter what the buyer says....they must be signed....

Now I don't care about it....but Ebay does...according from what I hear you have to have the item before you sell it on Ebay...I think there was some problems with people selling SQ before they got them....then they didn't get them and just kept the money.

Speedy

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I just got a package today without a signature ;)

The problem with EBAY is that they enforce a damn thing except that they pull off the net software when Microsoft complains to them.

That's why its such a PIA to get anything done with them. And thats why I don't trust them. I've noticed that with Heritage that I can actually call them and LOW and BEHOLD, they answer the phone. Getting results from ebay is like a rat maze.

9. Speedy

Hot-dog...wish they would send mine that way...

Speedy

10. Speedy

I forgot to ask....how about photos of the one you just won....I see the ones from Heritage but want to see what it looks like outside of their $$$$ cameras ;)
    Even though I think its too white to be right I wouldn't mind owning that coin!

Speedy

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

As soon as i get it. I'm thinking about getting a new digital camera to take pics with. That one guy took those outstanding photo's of his Morgan with a camera.

Its hard to imagine that in these days that I would consider a 1600 DPI scan as not detailed enough.

Ruben

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - it went for 546 all together, which is exactly what Heritage got for it three other times this year. But I'm happy to add a quality Barbara Half to the collection.

Ruben

13. Speedy

I thought you said you just got it in the mail ???.....

A scan is alright but remember....its bad for showing luster....a scan will wash out the luster on a coin and make it look dull....but it will pick up CAMEO great!

Speedy

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I think I ment the Camera (althoug I might have gotten another coin from HEritage that week).

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted