Barbie on the runway

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Off the top of your cuff, how would you grade these coins?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'd have to go with AU-58.

Bone

4. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Somewhere near AU-55?

5. jsinisterr

jsinisterr Member

AU-ish but interesting colors...:)

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Not close according to Heritage and PCSG

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Is it a P or D...I can't tell....it might be my eyes playing tricks...

I would say MS64....I don't see any wear...it's a harder date coin IMO and its also hard to find one that is UNC--the planchet is well centered and the starts show how the strike was strong....in fact...if the toning was a bit nicer MS65 might get it IMO.

Speedy

8. Speedy

Who is that??--it looks like its in a NGC slab...

Speedy

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

how about luster ;)

10. Speedy

I think luster is there...but the toning covers most of it...I think in hand it would show BU-T-Full!

Speedy

11. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

I happen to believe that Heritage would have given the coin the grade that was shown on the PCSG slab, and on these slabs it could have been a 70 and I wouldn't have been surprised.
    The coin appears to have rub marks on the face and could very well be a slider. The reverse has so many finger prints on it that it's hard to tell exactly what the luster may be.
    I agree with a couple of the posters and would think that a AU would be very generous.

12. Speedy

Where are the prints??.....
    Is PCSG a new grading Co???....
    I would be the first to say that I could be wayyy off on the grade but I sure don't see the pints and such.

Speedy

13. Speedy

I went and found the coin and lighten the photo...I must say that the light shows the coin much better...
    the slid-marks on the face are just breaks in luster...they aren't deep or the like.
    The back ans pretty toning IMO...this photo is just a little darker than it should be IMO.
    I don't agree with the grade NGC gave....but its GEM none the less---this is a 1897-S and that is hard to find in any grade

Speedy

14. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

I must agree with Speedy on this one... MS-64

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This is one of those coins some people love to hate. And coins like this convince even more people that the TPG's are up in the night. But that's because with toning like this it's all but impossible to capture the coins good side in a pic. Its one of those coins that you just have to see in hand to form an honest opinion.

I'll grant you, forming an opinion of a coin based on a pic is tough anyway. Some people won't even try. But in this day and age, a pic is often all many of us ever get to see before we buy a coin. So with a coin like this - when all ya have is a pic - many would walk away.

Now I don't know what the coin's grade is, I can't see it well enough in the pic to judge. But the NGC graders got to see it in hand. They got to see if the luster is there under the toning. They got to see if the toning is covering marks. They got to see if there are signs of wear. So this is one of those cases where you trust the plastic. And if when you receive the coin you decide you disagree - you send it back.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Attached Files:

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - I'm impressed that you graded it even an MS64. I look at it and just see a rusty old coin.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That is not corrosion below the S on the reverse?

19. Speedy

I would much rather have the first one....its pretty and has a great look to it!
    I don't think its corrosion...but I could be wrong.

Speedy

20. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

This is great news, for now I know Speedy won't be bidding me up on the second coin.

21. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

Oh, I'm surprised at NGC's grade, too... But, like GD said, you really need to have the coin in hand to grade it accurately.

I was pretty sure of an MS-grade, however due to the apparent lack of circulation wear, but I never would have guessed that high of a grade by looking at the photographs.

Draft saved Draft deleted