Barber Quarter MM Question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Just got some Barber quarters and going through them. These are my first and I'm not real familiar with errors on them. This one looks like a D mm behind the O. For this 1903 it would not be likely, since the Denver mint didn't start operation until 1906. Die clash? Look like maybe even some other clash marks, but with it so old it's hard to tell. Probably just be PMD. Thanks for any help.

1903 O Barber MM.jpg 1903 O Barber MM (4).jpg 1903 O Barber MM (5).jpg 1903 O Barber MM (2).jpg 1903 O Barber MM (7).jpg 1903 O Barber MM (8).jpg

Attached Files:

usmc60 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I see what you are talking about but I think the elevated part of the coin surface (and color differences) is just making it appear like a "D". As you stated, the Denver mint wasn't producing coins yet and didn't start to unitl 1906 (3 years later).

If anything it might be another O mint mark that got squared on the left side.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    dchjr likes this.
  4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

There are no major varieties involving mm for the 1903 O barber quarter. That being said, the O mint quarters are often found very weakly struck in the tail feathers, feet, and mint mark. When you add a lot of wear to that initial weak strike you can occasionally see some spread in the details, which is what I think is happening here. That depression is just a byproduct of circulation, not enough to be considered PMD, but odd enough that it makes you wonder how it came to be.

dchjr and Oldhoopster like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

just an optical illusion

6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. Does anyone know of a good site that has Barber coin varieties listed or shown?

7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Look at the surfaces of the coin around the "O".

That is what gives the illusion of there being something
    there, but there is no mintmark, letter or anything else.

As mentioned above, it's an optical illusion due to the rough surfaces.

Draft saved Draft deleted