Barber Quarter: Before and after dip (cleaning/conservation)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Dec 23, 2019.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This one was a little risky, but the eye appeal (IMO) was severely affected by the black splotchy toning on the obverse. It will still straight grade. I'd say AU55 all day. Ok, maybe 53. Word of warning: This coin is not the rule. Attempts to dip circulated coins don't usually look this pleasant. I didn't want to make it blast white, so I didn't do a full-on dip. I just worked some dip gently over it with a soft Q-tip, then rinsed and acetoned.
    s-l1600a-side.jpg IMG_0040-side.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I like the overall look of the "after". Seems, though, that now there are some lines showing up on the obverse (running from lower left-to-upper right).

C-B-D likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Just normal circulation areas combined with the lighting.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

VERY nice result, well done

C-B-D likes this.
  6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Not too shabby. I'd buy it

Randy Abercrombie and C-B-D like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed, that is what I noticed first

edited to add:

It still looks a lot better.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Looks a lot better to me. Good job.

9. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I like the way it looks now, and agree with the grade you put on it. I'd be scared to death to do that even though it's not a high dollar coin.

Penna_Boy and C-B-D like this.
  10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

... so you q-tipped the reverse with dip solution too? Or are the improvements on the reverse simply due to the acetone...?

C-B-D likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I like it.

C-B-D likes this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This is a first class lesson in proper cleaning/conservation. Not to be taken lightly by the new collector.... Super nice result, @C-B-D ...

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Same treatment as the obverse. Pretty common for there to be better luster on the reverse of these coins, since there is less open fields to pick up circulation marks.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that dipping circulated coins is a no-no most of the time. Sometimes you can get good results with mid to high AU coins, however. But if you dip an XF or lower, it's going to be flat and ugly, and it'll often blow the little remaining luster right off the surfaces.

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Came out good. I like the result

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Good job (coin) Dr. C-B-D :-D

17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Fingers are an abrasive. When a coin circulates, it gets hairlines. These tend to tone over and disappear until the surfaces are dipped. Circulated gold always appears cleaned at first glance because the surfaces do not tone over.

The way to tell the difference is that circulation hairlines are short and randomly-oriented, whereas cleaning hairlines are typically long and have a deliberate pattern.

18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very interesting! Definitely adding that trick to the arsenal. Well done!

I agree.

C-B-D likes this.
  19. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

On a related note, i found a method to help me determine if a coin is a candidate for a dip. I drop it in a small bowl of acetone and shine a strong light on it. 9 times out of 10 this helps me better see the surface of the coin underneath the toning.

TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  20. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Lost a bit of the original patina, but got rid of those ugly spots.
    Good job. Much better IMO.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow, that is actually a significant improvement. The spots on the obverse really hurt the eye appeal.

The coin has clearly been treated, but I like that you were measured in your application - you left some of the toning and didn't make it blast white. If it was blast white, it would have been ruined.

I think the best thing for this coin is to put it in a paper envelope for a while and let it regain some patina. I like the luster, but it needs a bit of skin.

Mainebill, TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted