Barber Quarter 1897 O .... Oh-no

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinzip, Nov 10, 2018.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That thing has so many problems, I don't even know where to begin....

First, it clearly has some environmental damage. The porosity of the coin is unusual.

Second, it has obviously been polished.

Third, it has been dipped or acid washed... probably to remove the environmental damage. That's what caused the weird twisted appearance of the devices.

Fourth... after all that, someone put this poor thing into a plastic flip and now it has traces of PVC all over it. The green you seen covering both sides is PVC, and must be removed with acetone.

This poor coin probably just needs to be flipped into a wishing well, and hope for better luck in its next life.

1916D10C likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I would suspect it is counterfeit.

coinzip likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd begin with its recent Chinese origin. Also the fact that it's almost certainly not silver.

coinzip and C-B-D like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You know, with the wear, the polishing, the toning, and the PVC... I completely zonked on the possibility that it might be a fake. Wow.

Got me.

coinzip likes this.
  7. Del44

Del44 Member

I'm I wrong to think it may be a cast? The surface looks porous and the date numerals look like has extra metal.

coinzip and C-B-D like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Who Dat guy probably could have exposed that coin in a second........not me. Not my neck of the woods.

coinzip likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It isn't PVC damage. Whatever pot metal used to cast this atrocity, and whatever process it was put thru, typically yields the greenish look. I had a counterfeit large cent that turned from brown, to green, and then eventually to a sickish yellow over time.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Green to yellow......ghastly. @ Jason..........I'll get some of those toned cents up when I get back home. A day or two.

11. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Well, the fact that it's a fake is the #1 problem. ;) :p

coinzip and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted