Barber Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Aug 4, 2013.

1. silv

silv Active Member

Tom B, that's exactly the spirit of Barber coin awesomeness. What more could people want out of a classic US coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I recently got this 1915 S Barber Half. I am no expert especially on this series. It appears to me the S on the reverse is inverted, or upside down, but I can't tell. I would like your opinions on this piece overall.

Attached Files:

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I would say the S just degraded with the wear and now it looks strange. Especially the serifs seem to be much rounder than on 1915-S quarters in higher grades.

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

[​IMG]

...the S on this quarter seems to be sharper, but I can't see why it should be upside-down on your coin?

6. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

As I said, I am no expert, and I didn't think of wear doing that.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Possibly a result of cleaning? I am struggling myself, it's difficult for me to identify cleaned coins, but this one looks like...

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Have I shared this here before?
    1911-50c-obv-crop-white.jpg
    1911-50c-rev-crop-white.jpg

9. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Happy 2014!

Looks like I found the right topic... I was wondering what the approximate grade and value of my common Barber coins might be. Be ruthless!

Barber4.jpg

Barber1.jpg

Barber5.jpg

Barber2.jpg

Barber6.jpg

Barber3.jpg

10. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

VF-30 Vf-25 and F-12 IMO

torontokuba likes this.
  11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I haven't always been a great fan of barbers. When I was 13 or 14 my father bought a bunch of dimes taped to a piece of cardboard. One of those was a 1907 D barber in VF/XF condition. I never held with Breen's opinion that the barber series was ugly or uninspired. Maybe it is a derivative design, but I think it is beautiful, especially in higher grades. I know that in low grades it can be a dog, but then again so are most coin series in low grade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rassi, jello, Effigy303 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not an inverted MM

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

do you mean $1/2?

Is that an 1909 S?

14. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

The Red Book lists William Barber as the designer of the 20 cent piece but he only designed the reverse. Christian Gobrecht designed the obverse and Barber copied it.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

A lot of the half dollars mint marks were struck anywhere in the mint marks area .
    Dimes to but not like the half dollars.

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the dimes. ^.- I do love the Quarters and Halves though. They are going to be a nice portion of my new collection. :)

17. Effigy303

Effigy303 Well-Known Member

I like the dimes a lot. I currently have 8 including two semi-key dates. I plan on getting all of them except the proofs. I only have one of halves and quarters. I probably won't get any more of them. Although they mean a lot to me. One I got in change, the other is from my father's collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I personally love collecting Barber coinage. My main interest is that of the Barber halves, which I am working on a Dansco album of barbers in grades of G-6 to VG-8, but there may be a few F-12's ;). After a little over two years I currently have 21 more to go! (out of 73) Though I enjoy collecting Barber coinage I will never purchase an AG barber or one without full rims as they become rather ugly in those conditions (unless of course it is a 92 micro o). Here is my most recent barber, one that I received as a Christmas gift and that is very tough to find in this originality & condition: IMG_3934-horz.jpg And also here is one of my favorites: IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3450.JPG 1894 Barber Quarter.jpg It was impossible for me to fully capture it's color.
    -Mike

Ed Sims, geekpryde and Tom B like this.
  19. Effigy303

Effigy303 Well-Known Member

Very nice coins! I love the 1894.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoinMike747 likes this.
  20. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Thanks! I would have not been able to afford her if it wasn't for that one scratch on the obverse :D.

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Sometimes a scratch makes all the difference between a wonderful coin you can afford and a beast of a piece you can only admire!

The only coin I purchased for myself this year was an 1893 Barber half with hairline scratch across the jawline. If not for the scratch, the coin might have graded PR67CAM, but because of the scratch it is in a PR64CAM holder. The scratch is not visible at all angles, but I made certain to have it fly off the coin and be obvious in my image.

[​IMG]

jello, Ed Sims, Effigy303 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted