Barbarous ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 22, 2014.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I picked up this weird coin while searching among Roman coins. I have the feeling it's a barbarous coin which was struck after the fall of the Roman Empire by the barbaric tribes who invaded the historic city of Rome. Thanks for your kind comments. Charles Barb O.jpg Barb R.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

It looks like a genuine but very worn maximianus follis to me.....carthage mint? The portrait looks good.

JBGood likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Thanks .. Boy , that Maximianus seems to have the lips of a bear.

5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

The sandy patina gives the impression his mouth is open, but it's not. He has a beard so the moustache looks like a big top lip, but there is a bit of wear right where the closed mouth is.

6. 7Calbrey

Thank you very much for this clarification.
    Charles

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would have guessed Galerius. I do not have this in that ruler but show a similar reverse from Carthage of Maximinus II who is ruled out by the extra A showing on the obverse. It is possible that the coin was cut down at a later date. I agree with YOC that the style is OK for official.
    rx4135bb3001.jpg

John Anthony likes this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I think it is a cut down Maximianus (because of the upturned nose distinct to Maximianus). It is not a later "barbarous" piece. I don't know why it was cut to the odd shape. I agree it is from the Carthage mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted