Barbarous lot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

At last Frank Robinson's auction, I won this barbarous lot of rather various coins. Here are the largest and smallest.

Barb 1a 666.jpg

Barb 1b 666.jpg

1. Imitation of Julian maiorina with bull on the reverse, 21 mm, 6.04 gr.
    2. Imitation of Constantine the Great follis, I don't recognize the reverse. 26 mm, a thin coin of 4.35 gr.
    3. Imitation of Constantius II? Fel Temp Reparatio with TRH in the exergue? 16 mm.
    4. Imitation of some emperor's head to the right / Two soldiers with a totem pole between them. 10.5 mm, 0.85 gr.

This coin came with a tag, mentioning a hoard found at Hove near Brighton, Sussex, 996 pieces found in 1904. Couldn't find anything about this treasure, though - not even in the British Newspaper Archive with 37 million pages of newspapers.

IMG_4390.jpg

thejewk, EWC3, Theodosius and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

The Julian II imitation is quite interesting, and I very much like the reference to the hoard provenance of the small "Tetricus."

Your second larger coin seems to copy a (scarce) "Principi Iuventutis" type of Constantine, see here.

Here are two of my barbarous radiates, the "stag rider" being my favorite:

Rom – Barbarous Radiate, Stag reverse (neu).png
    "Tetricus I" or similar, Roman Empire, barbarous radiate, late 3rd century AD, unofficial mint in Gaul or Britain. Obv: [...] I II II, bearded, radiate head r. Rev: V I [...]; human figure riding on stag l.; 13–14mm, 1.38g.

Rom – Barbarous Radiate, Tetricus, unclear reverse (neu).png
    "Tetricus I," Roman Empire, barbarous radiate, late 3rd century AD, unofficial mint in Gaul or Britain. Obv: IMI TE[TRI]CVS PF A[VG], bearded, radiate head r. Rev: weak barbarous pattern, unclear. 14–15mm, 1.92g.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite barbarous radiate is the only left facing one I have not to mention the most barbarous. That stag rider is great. Long ago, I saw one that had a retiarius gladiator reverse. 99.99% of these are pretty standard or boring but there are just enough special ones to keep us looking.
    Fortuna with rudder reverse?
    rr2015fd3313.jpg

5. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Fascinating. Maybe that ticket is now the only record of a large coin find?!!

Through local contacts I tracked down this record - of a possible Roman Villa at Portslade/Hove

https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/ESHER_MES1093

Looks like quite a lot of "grubbing up" was going on around the right time at the site......

The interactive local map is here - (and you can refine the search to "coins")

https://www.thekeep.info/map/

Rob T

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Pellinore likes this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I couldn’t get a result from @Orielensis’s link. But here’s my version of that Constantine coin, though my “Prince” is facing left and not right. 4BF6F005-3D07-4EB4-B6B6-47F29411C21B.png

Pellinore, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted