Barack Obama 2008 President 24 Karat Gold Plated Dollar Coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by beanz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. beanz

beanz Junior Member

I bought an Obama coin on eBay for around $10.00. It is a 24 Karat gold plated painted gold coin. It came in a case and a certificate of authenticity. I didn't take the coin out of the case. After looking at it i saw it is a George Washington presidential coin painted. On the certificate of authenticity it says "The Merrick Mint. The Merrick Mint is a private Mint and is not affiliated with the U.S. Mint or any government agency."
    So, does it have any collectors value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Welcome,
    No it doesn't have any collector value at all. It's just a novelty coin for amusement or conservation only.

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You've been had edited

5. MissSasha

MissSasha Junior Member

I think this is the definition of "bamboozled".

edited

6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

well if the coin is on a real prez dollar coin, it's at least worth a dollar, maybe a tiny bit more to someone who's an obama collector. But probably not worth anything more than a dollar to most collectors. pretty much the same story for most coins that get hyped up an have tv ads selling them.

Welcome to the forum though!!

7. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Lots of edits in this thread, whats up with that? Its worth a buck, enjoy it or spend it. Go and get yourself a candy bar and keep the change.

8. volker00

volker00 Coin Collecting Noob

Can you post a photo of it?

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It's one of those make a buck off anything companies , trying to make a dime off of our first African -American President , now if it was put out by our mint or even some other countries mint it might be worth a premium from the type of metal it was made on or on it's historic value .
    rzage

10. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

And you most likely paid way too much for it.

11. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Obama is no different. Indeed devalued.

edited - political commentary is not permitted

12. beanz

beanz Junior Member

Thanks for the help. i though it was neat to have a painted coin only reason i bought it :) and of obama it might be memorable oh well still looks neat
    i'll try to get a pic up no guarantees though

13. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Member

Bamboozled?

Merrick Mint vs US Mint?

Obama Dollar vs 2009 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Set (or any other NCLT's and sets from Uncle Sam)?

It's all a matter of prespective.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Probably Pavlov style reactions to the first two words of the topic title. ;) The same applies to #10, I think. And yes, I agree - if it's a third party colorized dollar coin, it makes sense to either keep it as a souvenir, or to spend it at its $1 face value.

Christian

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

political comments have been edited out

16. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I know Doug. Hard to have a thread mentioning a current or past political figure without some thoughts being shared. :whistle:

Did ya get dat bear yet?

17. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know if I completely agree with this statement. I think the truth is it has no collector value to a coin collector. The minute they plated or painted it it became damaged and no longer collectible. But, there are many people out there who collect Presidential collectibles and to them this coin might be collectible. It's just not collectible by in narrow "collectible realm."

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let's put it this way - would you pay $10 for it ?

Do you even know anybody, outside of the OP, who would pay $10 for it ?

A simple yes or no.

19. beanz

beanz Junior Member

Here are some photos Volker00 asked for. there is the coin and the certificate and authenticity

Top.bmp.jpg

Top-1.bmp.jpg

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I personally don't...but I know there are people out there who would. There is a market for things like this, it just isn't within our community.

21. MissSasha

MissSasha Junior Member

ugh, it's like street-level graffiti on a coin...

I could have sworn defacing federal property was a crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted