Bar Kochba zuz, a little strange?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Dear ancient friends, I never thought I would be able to obtain one of these and otherwise besides maybe a Cretan labyrinth my collection is complete. Then I happened to see this by a reputable dealer on Ebay. I took a chance on it. It has a couple of issues I am not sure about. The lettering on the obverse is kind of blotchy compared to other issues I have looked at. Also it has ten almonds in the wreath and I have only seen this type with eight almonds. Looked through hundreds of these online. What do you all think? I gave my Hendin book as a gift some years ago and do not have the other hard to find Bar Kochba book so no real good references at hand. I have also checked the forgery network and fake coin reports and found nothing like it. Have not the Hendin book on fakes though. zuz1.jpg Zuz2.jpg Also does anyone see signs of an understrike on either side?
    Judaea, Bar Kokhba Revolt. Silver Zuz 132-135 AD. 3.54 grams. Toning

This one is a the normal close issue type from acsearch: Judaea, Bar Kokhba Revolt. Silver Zuz (2.99 g), 132-135 CE. Year 2 (133/4 CE). ‘Sma’ (Paleo-Hebrew) within wreath of thin branches wrapped around eight almonds, with a medallion at top and tendrils at bottom. Rev. ‘Year two of the freedom of Israel’ (Paleo-Hebrew), upright palm branch. (Mildenberg 17 (O3/R12); TJC 245; Hendin 1390). Lightly toned. Extremely fine.
    ex Goldberg (16 September 2008), lot 1859; Antiqua FPL XIV (December 2006), lot 95. Zuzacsearch1.jpg
    Post your Bar Kochba's!.

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Parthicus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

I suppose the lettering might get like that with wear. It seems to have a smaller flan than the other example you posted, like it's been clipped, although it weighs more. But then again, they were struck on other issues so perhaps it's normal to vary that much.

But I'm certainly no expert. I have just one Bar Kochba, and it's bronze as the silver issues are too pricey!

Bar Kochba Revolt Small Bronze, 132-3
    upload_2021-6-30_21-25-26.png
    17.5mm, 5.9g. Eleazar the Priest. Year one of the redemption of Israel (Meshorer 224; Hendin 1380)

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Parthicus like this.
  4. Mike Margolis

Thanks for your input John. Yours is pretty and "year ones" are quite rare I believe? Yeah I never thought I could afford a silver issue and then this one caught my eye. They are all an amazing piece of history, what a time to have lived.

+VGO.DVCKS and John Conduitt like this.
  5. Mike Margolis

@Deacon Ray you are the resident expert on these. What do you think? Have you seen this type before with ten almonds in the wreath? I have some Hendin books on the way including his book on fakes. Thank You, Hope you are well

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I'm by no means an expert on these but I have been looking for one for a long time. Although the pictures are large the resolution isn't so good. For me, it's not so much the number of almonds in the wreath (although Hendin says 8) but rather the style. Perhaps it's from the "irregular" mint. Why not send Hendin a picture? He's already finished his 6th edition but if it is legit, you may have a new variant.

Here's what he says about the "irregular" mint:
    "From the Roman point of view, both were irregular rebel mints. For the Bar Kokhba administration the "irregular" mint was a second, subsidiary, mint operating not at the central mint but at a different location, and there is no reason to assume that it was considered to be irregular. The occasional reference to these coins as "irregular" does not carry much weight. In the eyes of the Greeks and Romans all Jewish coinage was no doubt considered "irregular coinage"

Here's one of my bronzes:

Bar.jpg

ShM`WN
    Simon in Paleo-Hebrew, seven-branched palm tree with two bunches of dates.

L-HRWT YRWShLM
    For the freedom of Jerusalem (Paleo-Hebrew), bunch of grapes with branch and small leaf.

Undated, attributed to year 3 (134/5 CE).

19mm; 4.46g
    Hendin 1440

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Mike Margolis likes this.
  7. Mike Margolis

Thank You Jay. @Jay GT4 I sent an email to Mr. Hendin. He says"
    Hi. This is not an ancient coin.
    Best wishes."
    So i just bought a fake- the merchant says he will send a refund as soon as he gets it back.
    Thank You for your input and suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Sorry. But at least you know and you'll get your money back.

Mike Margolis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted