Banks refusing to make change

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by PEdoubleNIZZLE, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

There is no "National Coin Shortage" and there never was one. There was, however a coin circulation problem due to "The Vid" and businesses (especially banks) shutting down. With banks shut down, businesses couldn't get the coins they needed and customers couldn't cash in their buckets of coins we all have at home. This circulation problem has mainly gone away and all is good now with the exception of a few urban pockets in states and cities that still have crazy shut-down policies in place. While it is trues the U.S. Mint production numbers were down last year, they've caught up for the most part.

NOS, Penny Luster and PlanoSteve like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

4. mpcusa

5. mpcusa

6. mpcusa

I think the signs speak volumes !

7. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

IF this is your bank, I would be looking for a new bank. Most of the banks, at least here in SW Missouri will make change for you. SOME do require that you have an account with them.
    Stay Safe.

8. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

You're (not "your") probably thinking of Chase. They train their tellers to loudly and clearly enunciate, "Throw This Ruffian Out, Instantly!"

NOS likes this.
  9. That's a very good question. All good comments. You can write to the "Comptroller of the Treasury", for the correct answer, if they bother to reply. My understanding "was" decades ago that if they were a Federal Depository Bank, they 'should' do it. In Ohio at least, it takes only a minimum deposit to be a "customer". It would seem if you regularly visit that bank it would make sense to open an account. NOW, as far as cashing a check drawn on another bank-YOU must take it to THAT BANKING INSTITUTION. Unless as a customer, 'they should not' be charging a fee as long as you have the funds on deposit. Even if you DO NOT have an account and it is THEIR CHECK, providing you have proper ID, "and the Drawer has the FUNDS ON DEPOSIT", THEY SHOULD tender the full payment. If the institution WILL NOT or perhaps the account is temporarily deficient, and the teller says: "There are insufficient funds to cash this". If you have a NOTARY PUBLIC along, he/she then can make what is called a "NOTARIAL PROTEST" which is valid in all 50 states under the (UCC) Uniform Commercial Code and state law. It is rather obsolete but still on the books (required for International Checks and Drafts). It was once a big deal prior to the Grreat Depression.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

How about a bank that won’t make bank wire transfers? That’s what I learned the other day from my bank.

11. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

My bank has such a large turnover of tellers it is impossible to get a relationship started. Here today, gone tomorrow.

12. mpcusa

The reason being is there not being paid
    a decent salary, they can go over across
    The street at Taco Bell and make more,
    any many do.

13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I am amused at many of the entries in this thread. Mainly, because I have been banking with the NC State Employees Credit Union since January 1976. Being a state employee, I have many privileges because I have a "free" checking account with no minimum deposit. 3 share (savings) accounts $25 minimum deposit. Four Money Market Accounts with a minimum deposit of $250 each. Each Money Market Account is set up for different types of annual bills, i.e., property taxes, cars (4) and house (2) insurance. We make monthly deposits to each account so we have enough capital to pay those bills. Since I have many accounts, you would think that I would have preferential treatment by the tellers. "NOT"! One Christmas about 3 years ago, I asked a teller if I could get $1,000 in $20 bills in sequential order. I evidently asked for too much. I was given a very curt NO! We can't get them that way. I had cashed a check for $500 a few months ago, not asking the bills in any specific way. I was given 25 brand new $20 bills in sequential order.
    Also, the credit union had renovated their building and added larger SDBs. I had 2 of the previous large SDB because I couldn't get all of my stuff in one SDB. Now that the had the larger SDB, I asked if I could exchange the old SDBs to one of the new large SDBs. I was told I had to wait until my renewal fee was due to make the change. My SDBs are $40 each and the new larger SDBs are $65. Although it's not a large amount, it was the process I have to go through to look at each box.
    Oh well. Again, there are a lot of other services that they give that it is worth banking with them. I never have asked for coins, though.

14. mpcusa

I see signs like that everywhere I go here
    in Vegas, also there moving closer and
    closer to debit and credit card a lot machines
    have already all but eliminated the one arm
    pull now it’s just buttons, so you can lose
    faster..LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted