Banknotes with '666' in the serial number.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Aidan Work, Jun 12, 2006.

1. bigdog69

bigdog69 Member

I can you believe that somebody paid $152.50 for this
    Hum I think I'll get a rubber devil stamp and some vinager and make a fortune:D lol idiot's

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Has anyone else found any banknotes with '666' in the serial number recently?

Aidan.

4. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

LOL! People are morons!

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yebbut more people found notes without them so shouldn't that be more of a sign? :rolleyes:

6. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

I have U.S. $1, $5, $10, and $20 notes with 666 in the serial numbers. No signs of projectile vomiting or bed levitation yet. ;)
    Usually, I only save notes with four-of-a-kind or better, low numbers, stars, or other significant number sequences (repeaters, mirrors, etc.), if they are in above-average to UNC condition.

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I have found two, a $1 and a $5 US. They are pretty neat to find.

Phoenix :cool:

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

'666' is a pretty significant number anyway.If I do come across a note bearing this,I do try to keep it.

Aidan.

9. You

You Junior Member

I have an one dollar bill ..E66657954b

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Please don't tell me that you wrote out by hand all of the 8-digit serial number combinations to figure that out.

Chris

Attached Files:

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Chris,

This is a very old thread and many of these people are no longer around.

You, They are not very uncommon. I look at every note that I can and I see them (666) all the time. The attached group showed up in the mail yesterday from a friend. The bottom note while note a binary fits nicely into my circulated collection. :)

Best Regards ~ Darryl

Attached Files:

12. krispy

krispy krispy

From Me to You ;)

[​IMG]

I come across notes with repeating 6's on occasion and if it's in AU or better I pull them for the novelty alone, however I'll do this with any repeating numbers, not just because it's a 6 or for people's association with that string of three sixes.

Most recently I pulled a Series 2006 NY $1 with SN B66602719L, nothing special to me, but you never know, I may meet other collectors one day who want to trade or buy such a note. :smile

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Got another one today from the bank, very well circulated and with blue ink writing on it.

Series 2003 $10 SN: DE 66694842A

Just posting to underscore how common they are to the OP.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Got another:

Series 2003 A $1 SN: B65866603F

Series 2004 A $10 SN: GC 44793337A

Again... just posting these SNs to underscore how common they are :smile

15. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I like it alot Krispy..

10 :thumb: up

RB

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Rick! :smile

17. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Junior Member

(10^3) / 6 = ~167

He either did it that way.... or maybe he did hand write the billions of combinations and count them. I guess we will never know. :smile

19. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

It's not that hard, really. For example, the last three digits of a serial number can be anything from 000 to 999, so there are 1000 possibilities, and one of them is 666. So one out of every 1000 notes will have a serial ending in 666.

Now, the 666 doesn't *have* to fall at the *end* of the serial number; there are actually six different positions within the serial where it could appear:

xxxxx666 xx666xx
    xxxx666x x666xxx
    xxx666xx 666xxxx

So we can estimate that about 6 in every 1000 notes will have 666 in the serial number somewhere.

In fact, however, this is an overestimate. Some notes will actually contain 666 more than once (in the extreme case, 66666666 contains it all six times, overlapping one another). So the percentage of serials that contain 666 will be a bit smaller than six per 1000, since those multi-666 serials got double-counted (or worse) in the estimated calculation.

20. thaivic

thaivic Junior Member

The only significance that 666 has to western countries is the association with the Old Testament. They could have made it 333 or 555 or any other repeat combination. Various societies have their own superstitions about single digit repeaters but are more associated with "lucky" numbers. To me it's all mumbo-jumbo but any single digit repeater is of interest only because of the numerical chance.

21. Yaser

Yaser Junior Member

DSC00676.JPG DSC00675.JPG

from my collection. Yemen notes. There are four notes 000666.

Draft saved Draft deleted