Banknote Gifts for Astronomy Club

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Sep 3, 2020.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

As the vice president of the Austin Astronomical Society, I get to invite speakers. With Covid and Zoom, we stopped handing over certificates of thanks and taking them out to dinner after the meeting. I suggested gifts that could be easily mailed. I bought a bunch of these from David Leong.

3 New Astros 2.jpeg 3 New Astros 1.jpeg 3 New Astros.jpeg

I also have 40 Iraqi 250 dinar with an astrolabe and 40 Romanian eclipses. I am still looking for others - Ambartsumian, Copernicus, Galileo, et alia, but this was what he had. Each speaker will get an array of several somethings along with a card of thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    kaparthy likes this.
  4. kaparthy

Thanks for the nod, Bradley. Yes, I have some of my own.

Four Astronomers Face and Back 1.jpg
    And others.
    Newtons Middlesex.png
    Thanks, also, for the link to numista. Like with Marie Curie, she is on a Polish note and French note. Niels Bohr and Erwin Schroedinger are kind of expensive if you are not actively collecting the series. (I am not a collector. I write.)

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I have this older Swiss 10 franc note depicting Leonhard Euler (though he's best remembered for his contributions to mathematics, he also did some astronomical work, including improved calculations of comet orbits):
    Euler.jpg
    Not sure how readily available these are in bulk, I have just the one example.

kaparthy likes this.
  6. kaparthy

Yes, I was also looking for the German Gauss notes. The problem with successful, stable nations is that their money is so expensive. Here, 10 SFR would be about 10 USD and uncirculateds would cost about twice that. It's OK if you are pursuing and collecting, but to buy 10 at once for gifts would be prohibitive. Still, it is a nice note, a good commemorative, thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted