Bank teller code of ethics?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Delmer, Jul 9, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

prez dollars and the teller

i was able to change from my bank $1000.00 of prez dollars. it composed of washington and adams. it was more easier to change prez dollars than regular nickels, quarters and dimes rolls. because very few people want it. as far as teller is concerned. two out of three of my banks were good at me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Come on guys, I spend 8 years in hell I mean working in banks.
    First as a teller and worked up to branch manager.

There is nothing wrong about her pulling a coin out.
    Heck, as long as the drawer is not short then she did nothing wrong, as a manager, I'd search thru coins myself, but at the time, in the mid-late 70's I was working and going to school full time, so, I never had the time to do it.
    But, as a new teller I often did it, there isn't anything wrong as long as they don't steal the coins.

Sure, we don't want someone else to grab out stuff, but it isn't ours until we get it.
    Here's a though instead of getting mad, try asking her to save you some 'unusual coins' next time.
    Ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

4. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

I've got to agree with Frank. Yeah, it's rude and bad customer service, but hardly illegal. I worked in a restaurants for about 5 years in the 70's and pulled everything and exchanged it for face value. If I was working in a bank, I'd do the same thing. What was rude was for you to ask and then have her cherrypick.

I'd sweet talk the old bag and have her search for you. It can't hurt and might get her to quit cherry picking.

good luck,

rono

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

to treashunt

are you at manhattan?. since you are a manager. can i go to your bank to see you and change some prez dollars?.

6. LibertyBell

LibertyBell New Member

I made a large deposit at my Credit Union last week. The teller told me that 10K would be available immediately, but I would have to wait 7 business days for the rest. I told her that I understood that, but that I'm also aware that, in reality, the check that I was depositing could be verified in minutes via computer.

She told me that they were doing me a favor by letting me have the $10K. I returned to my office and called the CU manager. I told the manager that if they really felt they were doing me a favor by taking my money and loaning it to others at 5% more interest than they were paying me, I might have them do me another favor and close my account. I got an immediate aplogy.

7. Treashunt

Elaine:
    Thankfully, I quit the bank business years ago, I finally got a degree in accounting, got certified and now have my own practice.
    However, if I were at the branch system, I would welcome you, and everyone. I did it then & I'd do it today.
    As far as the earlier poster, and the bank's refusal to break a $50 bill: please don't take it personally.
    It was and is common for counterfeiters to 'pass' bad bills in that manner.
    If the person had an account, then there would be some sort of relationship.
    As a teller I am glad to say that I was never stuck with a bad bill, although I did see some funny money.
    However, as a manager, I did approve a ten once, that turned out to be bad. I charged the loss to myself. (Not the teller, who was smart enough to ask me, and I was dumb enough, or cocky enough, to approve the bill.)

To others, try to develop a relationship, the tellers are only human, and if you are nice, then they'll be nice.
    Instead of griping about the "one that got away" why not be appreciative that the teller gave you some nice silver, and didn't keep it all!
    Isn't half a loaf better than none?
    Sure, she (or he) kept one piece for her father, but imagine how he felt when she told him "I kept this one for you, but gave away another 12 pieces. I thought that you only wanted this type."
    He was probably angry at you!

8. Bluegill

Bluegill Senior Member

I'm with the folks who don't think the teller was much out of bounds. I personally would't do it, since it seems sort of tactless. But the money is under control of the teller and the bank until it's in my hands, and I have no say in the matter. For me, the whole basis of the "game" is that I'm smart enough (or willing enough to waste lots and lots of time) looking for things in change that others don't spot. If the teller spots it before me, I'm disappointed, but...well, I hope her elderly dad enjoys it!

A month or two ago I asked a teller at a bank for her halves. She pulled about a half-dozen from her drawer, looked at one, and put it back, muttering she needed to keep it. I was quite irritated by that, and I really wondered what it was... However, I said nothing. Although I guess it wouldn't have hurt for me to look sad and express an interest.

9. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

She would have her dad or someone else come in for it as a customer

10. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Delmer - If you were that teller, would you have given out the silver? Really now, I don't think there is one member of this forum that would - Imo. It may be frustrating to see it slip through your hand but it was really never yours to begin with. Also, unless your account is REALLY big, your business will probably not affect the banks bottom line and who really wants a customer that makes a seen in their place of business.

Like Frank said - honey not vinegar if you want to have any chance at future silver. It would have better to comment that you are a very thoughtful daughter and I'm sure your dad loves you. This would have endeared you to her and she might remember that next time you go in.

11. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

I reciently switched banks, and i now use the one that my cousin is a teller at. In the past month, i have ammassed, 4 barbers, 14 walkers, 23 franklins, 28 1964 kennedies, and 45 40% halves. I have also gotten 10 silver cert TONS of silver quarters and dimes, and quite a few Non silver oldies, the best being a 1929-s buffalo in MS-64/65.

edit: the reason i got these, is because she saved them for me.

12. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

explitive .... explitive

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Obviously not a Chicago person. I remember the LaSalle bank downtown Chicago when I was walking through the lobby with a camera in my hands. I thought I'd take a photo for posterities sake. Within seconds I was surrounded by guards with guns drawn. Didn't know there where that many in the building.
    As to shouting anything in a bank around here, that would not be to wise also. You'ld get about 5 years in a place with padded walls to figure out why. I still like the idiot that tried robbing a bank accross from the Board of Trade building when the President was visiting. He is still probably trying to figure out why police from the State, City, Federal cops, FBI, etc all arrested him.
    As to a teller looking through coins. Many people I know ask tellers in banks to look out for odd looking coins. I've asked at banks and they tell me that is perfectly normal and acceptable as long as it doesn't interfer with thier jobs. One teller told me she puts aside several dollars a day for her husband.

14. Treashunt

Does your cousin need an uncle?

15. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Haha. Don't be pushing up on my gold mine! Lol.

16. grizz

grizz numismatist

i think i would be afraid that a net would fall on me followed by mace in the eyes! YIKES!

17. Treashunt

a more likely result of screaming in a bank.

Hint: They have more money than you do.

18. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Talk about ethics

19. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

When you get down to the truth---they don't really want the mace in your eyes....but they pop it there first so your mouth pop's open....that is where they want it ;)

Speedy

20. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I don't have a problem with tellers cherry picking the coins in their till on their own time, but when I've come in to get them, she's on my time then.

21. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

I'm with you, BQ. If I go to a store and point to something and say, I want that, it belongs to me until I change my mind. I don't care if your in a butcher shop or a bank.

Draft saved Draft deleted