Bank note grading question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by walleye710, Sep 21, 2022.

1. walleye710

walleye710 Member

Can a bank note with 3 folds one of which I'd call prominent still grade XF or perhaps better? I have a national bank note series 1882 brown back that is pretty nice except for the folds. The paper quality is very good-still crisp, the color is very good, no holes, no tears, good signatures. The bottom margin was cut short but the corners are intact with no edge wear. It is a Winona MN bank $5 which I think had a fairly high census.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. walleye710

walleye710 Member

The mark that appears on the reverse is the shadow of my phone. There are no marks on this note.

Attached Files:

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

With the right margin not being parallel to the print, the close trim at the bottom, and the perfectly square corners on a worn note make me suspect that this note has been trimmed. I do believe this note would grade low XF based on the wear.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It appears to be a wallet piece. Folded twice and shown off often. Could you furnish a photo of the note with side lighting ?

88B65C61-CA89-4DEF-B41E-F0C7EF410B8F.jpeg

6. walleye710

walleye710 Member

After doing this I can see a couple more old folds in it.

Attached Files:

7. walleye710

walleye710 Member

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Thanks for the additional photo @walleye710 .
    It appears to be an extremely nice VF.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

would say VF-35 if it was professionally graded; nice note ;)

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In my opinion this would not be an XF note. It is nice in several respects but it won’t grade extra fine. I do believe it is a definite Fine nope and may even pass as a very fine note. The difference would be in how serious the folds are and if it was folded and carried as a pocket piece. Also if the note has residue from the wallet. It’s a nice looking Note.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will say this its hard to judge a note not being in hand so opinions are objective
    at the very best, I literally have hundreds of graded MPC, and one note can be the
    same as the other but get a completely different grade, especially if you cross
    grad notes, they dont always come back the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted