Balloon Conch

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, May 31, 2017.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

One of three unseen coins that arrived yesterday...

I hate auctions...but I won this time.

I had spotted this coin and two others from a seller in Europe. I bid up the two I didn't want as bad as I have better examples and let others go after those while the one I wanted I put in a small bid and it went largely unnoticed. I was beaten in the two higher bidding lots but I put in a really small bid on this one and it seemed no one else wanted it, but I really , really, really wanted it. I also made sure I didn't watch it but watched the others. The plan worked.

The prize... The elusive balloon conch.

A decent example of extremely late Dvaravati Conch coinage (Mon Pegu Style stuff) I have waited a couple of years for one to pop up (and not in a big Steve Album auction where I get trashed 4 fold)...ah ebay you never let me down.

A very nice composite style coin again borrowing from the Rising Sun ( Funan type) and the Burma Mon Pegu types. This coin shows a clear evolution (degradation) end game for the conch series in Southeast Asia. These examples unlike most of the other coinage is chiefly found in a few spots in Thailand and not in Burma or Cambodia proper.

This coinage comes to an end no later than AD 1002 when the Khmer Empire of Angkor absorbed the remnants of the Mon Kingdoms of the Dvaravati now residing in Thailand, following the collapse of the Pyu City States. There is little if any evidence the silver coinage of old survived pass the mid 9th century with rise of Pagan in Burma and the Khmer in Cambodia. Overseas trade appears to have been reduced to a trickle. Over the next 250 years Pagan would develop into an advanced society which has left us a wealth of writing and architecture but they chose to never coin money. The Khmer on the hand issued some wild lead pieces but appear to have been only for local commerce.

The social and economic structure of the Dvaravati kingdom is largely unclear. It is believed they existed as a confederation of city states with religious, cultural and ethnic similarities. Very little if any writing exists of these kingdoms. Although the Pagan in Burma did adopt there language churned out lots and lots of documents.

Thailand, U Thong
    Dvaravati Kingdom
    AR Full Unit (AD 700- 800)
    29 mm x 8.73 grams
    Obverse: Balloon style conch within a dotted border
    Reverse: Srivatsa, open beaded moon above left sun above right. Uncertain symbols - trident (?) left - elephant goad right(?) Fish swimming left in ex.
    Ref: Wicks Class K
    Note: All recovered examples were found in Thailand and can safely be dated before the Khmer Empire of Angkor absorption of the Dvaravati Kingdom. Extremely rare, weakly struck.

dvaravati.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat find AN. Congrats.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sweet. Only 32 of those babies known to exist if I'm not mistaken. What a prize. Congrats!

5. Ancientnoob

I am not sure how many of these exist- but I think you are thinking of the Pegu Mon coin of a much earlier construction.

All of these coins are rather scarce although at least several hundred of the Rising Sun coins of different variations are known to exist, and are by far the most plentiful.

6. Ancientnoob

Oh and I should have said post your ....um...ugh...whatevers(?)

Alegandron likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

11f2105859aaa658c82423dc9febfbb1.gif

another BIG eastern silver sweetie!

well, i don't have a conche, or coins from thailand. i'm definitely not posting any thong pics. :wideyed::wacky:

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Quite a different coin. Plain but magnificent! Nice score. :)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is my
    This Ancient one is VERY RARE from Sri Lanka:
    Sri Lanka 1st C BCE PB Lead 1-8th unit Lakshmi excavated in Anuradhapura RARE.jpg
    Sri Lanka 1st Century BCE PB Lead 1/8th unit Lakshmi excavated in Anuradhapura VERY RARE

Draft saved Draft deleted