Baldwin's of St. James's

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

A question from one still new to the world of non-eBay auctions.

I am interested in a coin in the Baldwin's of St. James's, Auction 28. It’s described in a listing through Sixbid, but there’s no photo. I went to the Baldwin's site and even downloaded the catalog, but it’s not pictured.

So I assume that not all auction houses photograph every coin? I suspect that’s how it was done even a few years ago, before digital photography changed everything. I just can’t imagine bidding $300 on a coin, sight unseen, but perhaps that’s a testament to my penury.

Perhaps Baldwin’s expects the real traffic to be on the floor where all lots can be viewed. I am just pig-ignorant of this world.

Am I missing something, or are online bidders just expected to roll the dice on unseen coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Is your coin part of a larger lot? I have noticed that some auction houses do not show pictures of group lots.

4. Gavin Richardson

No, it's an individual coin.

5. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

Thanks. And now that I re-read the entry, it is for a lot of multiple coins. Maybe that's the issue.

7. Gavin Richardson

While elsewhere on this board a thread rages about poor customer service from a UK auction house, I am pleased to say that I requested a photo of a low-end coin lot from Baldwin’s and received three photos today. I appreciated the attentiveness to a request that involved only fair/fine coins.

rrdenarius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted