Baffled by star note li looked up

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by 2x2 $averKrazy, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I got a hint about the double printing of serial numbers back in 2017. I bought a bunch of star note strap packs back then. For a while after, I tried to match up numbers with others that were for sale, then life got really busy for me and I never had much of a chance after to try and match two up. I noticed on another site that their were several guys chatting about this so have kinda been looking around some. I hopefully I will get time soon and get lucky and match a pair myself.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kody

Kody New Member

I have a 1988 $20 series A star note can anyone tell me how I find out it's worth?
    F 02447021 ⭐

NOS likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I suggest to start your own thread and provide full clear pictures of your note as of value for now $20 without more evidence.

5. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

The serial number is most important ,but yes, overall condition of the note also matters....

6. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I would hold on to any $1 2013 B star note regardless of condition. Forget the worth of a matched pair and concentrate on the "cool" factor of having a pair. The more you save the greater the chance of finding a match.

7. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Very interesting. I never knew this!

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’m thinking that if it’s a star note, it had to be printed twice cuz the first one didn’t pass inspection

9. Jersey magic man

The BEP prints a certain number of star notes to use as replacements for bills that do not print correctly. But since the printing process is the same for both, improperly printed bills can happen when they print the replacement (star) bills. I find it ironic that error star notes make it out of the BEP.

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Not all $1 2013 B-* serials have a duplicate printing. And they are still very common. I've found eight of them over the last week and from those only one is from the duplicate range.

These are the serials printed for $1 2013 DC and FW Boston star notes:

DC: B00000001 * to B00250000 * and then B03200001 * to B09600000 *

FW: B00000001 * to B06400000* and then B06400001 * to B09600000*, as well as B09600001 * - B16000000 *

Essentially, possible matching notes are only in ranges 00000001-00250000 and 03200001-09600000. With this in mind, there is a global database comprising more than 17,500 entries of the confirmed duplicate ranges of notes found in circulation. Of those there have been only 10 confirmed matches over the last five years.

So there really is no need to save any and all 2013 B-* notes regardless of condition. Focus on the ones from the matching ranges and spend the rest. Have fun with it but have realistic expectations that you will be unlikely to ever find a match, either on your own or through contributing to the database of duplicate serials.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Sidney Osborne likes this.
  11. Jersey magic man

One can always dream!

12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I save every $1 Note in hopes of finding something interesting. The only things that I do find are the $1 Note in serial number sequential order. No stars yet. I didn't start collecting until 2003.

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I didn't think FW printed notes for areas covered by DC.

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The majority of notes for districts A through F originally were printed in DC, and G through L were printed in FW. But, 100% of all $2 notes, from series 1995 and up were all printed in FW. Except for a few replacement notes, all 2013 $5 notes were printed in DC. So there is no real formula for which facility prints which districts anymore.

TheFinn likes this.
  15. Jersey magic man

I stand corrected. There is no use in collecting bills outside this range and expect to get a match.

16. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The prices these individual notes are selling for on ebay has jumped from about $4-5 to $25-30 in the last couple of months. Crazy.

Sidney Osborne and cashhound like this.
  17. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Yes

Draft saved Draft deleted