Badly toned silver dollars?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DaveisCrazy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I find most of their products to be of the disposable aspect, I am a carpenter, and build things to last and lights are the only reason I have stepped into the place.
    These lights work real nice with a Ping Pong ball squeezed over them, works as a great diffusor. The only thing is finding the whitest ping pong ball for the job.

DaveisCrazy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DaveisCrazy

DaveisCrazy Member

Here is attempt #2 posting a couple of pics. Please feel free to comment on anything you see or the quality of the pics. DSC02236.JPG DSC02237.JPG DSC02238.JPG DSC02239.JPG

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

The 1898 could pass for XF45-AU50, I think. Instead of overdipped. But unfortunately roughly handled, Liberty looks pretty rough.

The obverse looks scrubbed on the 1921.

Maybe these photos show the luster better?

Really I wouldn't be too concerned about the toning. It's pretty dark, but I like Morgans with something besides "blast white". They just need to be stored properly from here on out.

They both have problems, they are common dates, and they are likely $20 coins at best. But then again I've seen much worse. And as a piece of history, they can still be enjoyed just as they are. JMHO

DaveisCrazy likes this.
  5. longshot

Another thought....you could choose one as a pocket piece and carry it with you every day. Over time you'd get some honest wear, eventually the problems would wear away.

6. DaveisCrazy

DaveisCrazy Member

Thanks for taking a look longshot, still trying to learn what I should be looking at/for on these coins. But it has been a learning experience for sure. Had no idea about the dipping/cleaning issues with them. Was more concerned about the tarnish/unnatural toning issue, which to me looks bad. I do like coins that appear to be what I perceive to be "natural" toning and aging. Since I know now what it is and what caused it, I'll probably just leave them the way they are. Thanks again!

7. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Just wondering how you tell that it may have been scrubbed. What to look for? I'm in kindergarten......no pre-k .....and wanting to learn so as to add to the hobby not detract.....thanks

8. longshot

See the vertical lines in front of the face and on the cheek? That is not normal circulation marks . This is why you need to learn to examine a coin under a good light, makes those lines jump out.

Rust_junky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted