Bad Investment ? 2004 Wisconsin Extra leaf Error Coins

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SensibleSal66, Oct 21, 2020.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Can anyone tell me what's happened to the sales on this/ these Error coins ? When they first were discovered prices were high then they appeared to level out. Now after years of sitting in my collection, I notice sales are way down again. I paid $700 for this Variety set , bad investment ? Will sales drop again or will they rise in time again ?
    Comments welcome .
    100_1174.jpg

CoinJockey73 and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

These are super nice. Notice the Purple corn .Are they better together or divided ?

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Most coins are a bad investment..............coin collecting is a hobby and nothing more.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

In time so many of these "Extra Leaves" were discovered that they became a bit more common. I was never interested in the issue because I knew they were just going to start plummeting in interest.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Bob Evancho and Inspector43 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

Thanks . I enjoy this set the most in my collection because they were one of my first error coins . Before 2004, I knew just of the major errors in books . I now know Error collecting is a whole new "animal" from what I call "casual collecting " (concentrating on grades and key dates ). For now the " ladies " remain with me, lol.

CoinJockey73 and capthank like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Same thing goes for the Missing Edge Presidential Dollars. At first they were interesting and slabbed examples were going for over $100.00 and now sellers are just trying to get rid of them for $20.00 - $30.00.. They are so common I don't think they should have any premium at all IMHO!

capthank and Inspector43 like this.
  8. SensibleSal66

I remember that .Ii forgot about that .That cheap huh? For a whole dollar ? $30, not my money. Silver or gold. Well I love my Colonials Too .

CoinJockey73 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

When they were hot and buzzing yeah prices were up. 16 years later it's hardly even mentioned anymore anywhere so interest has fallen off.

Meanwhile more are still being dicovered. The speculation period is over . They might be still interesting but the speculators and flippers trying to cash in have all left the playing field.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This is a common price pattern for modern coins. They are hot when first discovered, but then settle back into obscurity after the promotion is over. There are a few exceptions, like the 1969-S doubled die cent, but that is unusual.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It's the "gotta have it now" mentality.

Any time a new discovery is found the prices will be sky high as everyone wants one, and few are found.

Then after more specimens are found the prices drop, and times go on and demand drops and it's forgotten then prices will drop back down.

If you are a collector then you collect them. You can either collect them when they are "hot" or wait and collect them when they are "cool", which may or may not happen.

It reminds me of my Congrats ASE a few years ago .. prices shot up to over $2k per coin so I sold. Now I can get them for $150ish.

Your 2004 D Wisconsin variety set appears to sell from $250 to $400ish now.

When they came out I wanted to get a set, but decided not to as I wasn't going to spend so much for 75 cents.

YoloBagels and Mountain Man like this.
  12. johnmilton

For example ...

in the early 1980s, I sold a 1973-S silver Proof Ike Dollar for $175 when Grey Sheet bid was $250. About a year ago I sold one for $15 when the bid was $21.

13. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I will buy a coin if I like it and can afford it - not as an investment. If I want an investment I'll stick with stocks and options.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Very often when something like this shows up, there is interest initially and the value will rise. Over time, more examples are found so they are not rare, interest wanes,
    people decide it's just a die chip, big deal, and the value drops.
    It's like a hot rookie baseball card and the prices are insane. He doesn't deliver and
    his card is in the 50 cent bin at the card store when 3 weeks ago it was 50 dollars.

Hamilcar Barca likes this.
  15. johnmilton

New collectors should consider this market pattern for new coins before they get caught up in the frenzy. I know about the “I have to have now!” attitude, but that can cost you money, sometimes a lot of money.

dwhiz and Inspector43 like this.
  16. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Even regular issues of coins will not maintain their original value. Look in the Red Book section that lists mint set and proof set issue price and current value. It is very rare for even these to hold the value that they are sold for by the mint. Buy coins to maintain your collection, but never as an investment.

jamor1960 and Hamilcar Barca like this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I definitely would not break up the set. They may not have a favorable return now but are certainly nice show and tell. Who knows, things can change in time. I like them, good luck.

18. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I would definitely be a buyer for the blank holder for about five dollars then I would roll hunt until I found every variety in the wild. That would be an accomplishment worthy of display.

19. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Just like the Beanie Baby collecting craze of the late 90's. Back then, the right one was fairly expensive. Now an entire lot of 200 on ebay with a starting offer of $1.00 is listed for sale yet there are no bids.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I had a clerk working for me back then. She made typical wages for a clerk. She bought every Beanie Baby. Some she paid $300 for. Absolutely addicted to them. She knew she was going to get rich.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  21. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The reason I knew about Beanie Babies is because a manager in the office I worked at (Stanford University) used to collect them. This was in the late 90s. He'd be out of the office for two and sometimes three hours at a time driving all over the place collecting them during his lunch hour. He'd then empty out copy paper reams from the boxes and take those empty boxes home to store them. Last I heard from him, which was in about 2002, he had an entire garage full of Beanie Babies. Who knows what ever happened to his collection. Maybe he still has them, who knows.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted