Bad Form? Counterfeit 1916-D In Album

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Feb 24, 2018.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hi Jack and welcome to CT. It would be cool if you started a new thread for each of these three coins. It would be fun to talk about them one at a time.

C-B-D and Jack D. Young like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd go buy a low grade to plug the hole, then put the fake in a flip with a note stating it's a fake.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For the 1916-D, that's a very generous offer. :)

5. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Get a Dremel and mark the coin COPY.

Gilbert and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Ron W

Ron W Member

Agree with Dave Setree above . Demel or engraving tool and mark Fake or Copy on the reverse, should curtail any sale.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Idhair, I started a fresh thread on the 1798 "S-158" large cent.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Anything not gradable can be marked "Genuine" at the request of the submitter. "Details" grading is not done by all services.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Really? I could send my counterfeit 1916-D dime. Pay the fee and request they mark the slab as genuine? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying here?

10. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

No; it the coin is genuine but has damage, environmental surface issues,etc. that don't allow for a straight numerical grade the TPG on request will slab it as genuine with no grade. Some will also add a "details" grade of the apparent sharpness if requested and offered, similar to what ANACS started many years ago.

A "Genuine" holder for PCGS guarantees the coin for authenticity only...

11. Randy Abercrombie

I know this is off topic, however I created the thread..... It deeply disturbs me that integrity is leaving our hobby..... In my mind I see it this way. If I use my printer to create a twenty dollar bill and pass it off at a plac of business, I have committed a felony..... Why then is it not a felony to pass off a counterfeit coin as genuine. Is it not legal tender? The whole issue just infuriates me. If I were a kid wanting to start collecting, this in and of itself would scare me away.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just leave it empty and take more Adderall

Stevearino likes this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Thought I might offer up a couple of photos of the counterfeit 1916-D I been speaking about. This was done long ago. I have had it since the early 1990’s. The mintmark was added. The counterfeiters did a decent job adding it other than the placement is slightly high. It even appears they carried it with change in their pocket for a period of time in an attempt to make it appear more legitimate.

3743225C-0C60-4B25-A93D-16F86D4F14AB.jpeg 3C6E2407-782A-4073-820D-C4FF8B2AF0EA.jpeg

14. Randy Abercrombie

That stuff is poison. Scotch whiskey does a better job.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  15. Albert Wilson

Albert Wilson New Member

Not good for PCGS

16. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

To answer your original question.... I would just put a small label under the Counterfeit 16-D - I use Mailing Labels cut to a small size... Doesn't hurt the book, as you can easily pull them on and off. That way, people will know it is not genuine. :)

Actually putting "copy" on the coin, or doing anything to the coin is rather difficult, and who really wants to mess up a good counterfeit? It's history, too. Just needs to be labeled what it is!

17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. You can send it in to be graded and ask they put "genuine" on the label but it doesn't mean they will mark it genuine. In the past some counterfeit coins have fooled even the professional graders but they are getting better at detecting counterfeits, especially key dates.

Draft saved Draft deleted